Asked on Apr 4, 2019

How do I clean the moss off the outside of my house and brick?

EllisJoyceLynn Sorrell


My siding has mold or moss and I power wash it but it doesn't remove it all. My brick wall is also discolored and growing moss. We live in a very humid state. I'm wasting a ton of water and not achieving a good result.

8 answers
  • Angela C.
    on Apr 4, 2019

    I have the same problem. I finally just use a hard brush broom first then use my mop with bleach and water. I stopped the pressure cleaning. Left white marks where it was black from mold. The growth is from shade. You need to let sunlight get in. I cut my trees back and no growth anymore.

  • Joy30150932
    on Apr 4, 2019

    On the outside you can use a solution of bleach and water to kill the spores. Be sure to hose down any plants that may be underneath the wall and then do the same after you have completed each wall. You could use an ordinary hose with the container filled with the solution for this job.

  • Nancy Turner
    on Apr 4, 2019

    Bleach does not kill mold, it just cleans and works on the staining. Vinegar will kill the spores, but you must cover any plants you want to keep and cover the soil up to the wall to keep it from absorbing into the soil, it will kill all plant life and kill the good bacteria in the soil.

  • William
    on Apr 4, 2019

    Nancy is correct. Bleach will clean the mold off. Vinegar will kill mold spores. Use the vinegar. Protect the soil and plants. Do not mix bleach and vinegar together. Very harmful fumes.

  • Debbie Kuhar
    on Apr 4, 2019


  • Lynn Sorrell
    on Apr 4, 2019

    vinegar kills mold, bleach removes the stains the mold leaves; green MOSS---only air circulation and sunlight will keep the moss from growing even if you try to treat/remove it -it will return, so need to cut back shrubs/ trees/plants that block the light in/over the area it is growing,cut back on watering/irrigation/sprinklers etc.

  • Joyce
    on Apr 5, 2019

    This is Joyce again. Just to clarify, the moss is on the North side of my house where it doesn't get sunlight. I don't have any plants blocking the sun from the house. The moss on the South side of the house is up under the overhang from the roof. So there again, I can't get sunshine to that area.

  • Ellis
    on Apr 5, 2019

    Get a product called Wet & Forget. You mix it with water, and spray it on any surface where moss/algae grows. I use a cheap garden pump sprayer, which cost me less than $10 and I can use it over and over. Just spray the Wet & Forget mixture on the wall and any patio, etc., where the moss is growing, leave it, and wait. In a few weeks, the moss will be gone. If there is still some left, treat it again. Your problems will be over, and you won't be damaging your house or plants with caustic chemicals.

    Go to the website and see the results they show. It's amazing! The product is available at Ace, Costco, Home Depot, Menards, etc.

Your comment...