DIY Circle Shelf - From Salvaged Wagon Wheel

$10

Making a one-of-kind circle shelf is a lot easier than you may think. I've had two old wagon wheels wasting away in my yard that were left here by a previous homeowner. Even though wagon wheels don't really fit into my personal style, I decided to find a way to salvage them into our decor. After a bit of thought, I decided to turn one into a circle shelf.

A quick and important note to make is that you don't have to go hunting for a wagon wheel. Any round salvaged item out there can be shelfified using this tutorial. Get creative!

Be sure to click on the link to my blog for a more detailed tutorial, and lots more DIY inspiration.

diy circle shelf from salvaged wagon wheel

This was my starting point. I went ahead and gutted my wheel then gave it a warm bath of water and dish soap. I was trying to ease it into it's new life as an interior decor piece. Welcome to the family you goofy old country bumpkin!

I measured across the wheel in the places I decided I wanted to put shelves. Because I plan to fill my shelving with mostly plants and/or candles, I opted for two shelves to give lots of room.

I also think this circle shelf would make a great spot for a collection of photos.

Next, I marked my wheel where I wanted the tops of my shelves to be. An easy way to do this is to push your circular salvaged object up against a flat surface. Then measure the distance from the flat surface to the circle and mark. Do this on both sides.

After I had my shelf location all figured out, I trimmed my boards to a rough length just a tad longer than what I needed.

Then, I laid my boards over the wheel, lining them up with the marks from earlier. Using a pencil, I traced on the board using the wheel as a guide.

The traced line makes a great template for trimming the boards to length.

For reference, my wheel is about 3 inches wide, and the boards I used are 1x4.

Using some E6000 glue, I attached the shelves to my wheel. Cutting some wedges from scrap wood helped keep the shelves in place as the glue dried.

You may also notice that I sneakily painted my wheel without documenting. This is because I get so excited about an idea, that I often forget about my camera. However, I sprayed the wheel with a stain covering spray primer, and gave it a topcoat of black chalk paint.

If you would like to paint your wheel, you do not need to use chalk paint, that's just what I happened to have on hand. I would suggest using a good stain/rust covering spray primer though.

To keep from killing my family, I hung my shelf with a heavy duty lag bolt screwed into a stud. After all, my wheel weighs about 60 pounds.

I might get around to painting the bolt, and if you're not as impatient (lazy)  as me, I say go for it.

And then I starting loading her up with plants. I plan to collect a few more and use this as a, sort of, living wall decor piece.

I hope you find this post helpful and it gets the creative juices flowing!

Heather Cammack

• Penny Wyngarden

Couldn't u have made shelves out of all the legs in the wheel

• Judy Mckie

I like it. wwonder if something could be made from the bars?probably not. look in bad shape. lol.

• Heather Cammack

Yeah, I usually like to salvage what I can, but they were completely rotten.

• Sandra Christian

Did u angle the cut of the boards (shelves)? Looks like it but u didn’t mention it?

• Heather Cammack

They are cut at an angle, but not a specific angle. That's why I traced along the wheel onto my board. Each angle was slightly different for me since my wheel was old and definitely not perfectly round anymore.

• Julie Rumbarger

If you dont have paint, use a black sharpie or even mascara or eyeliner ! lol

• Rhonda

This so nice, you did a great job. Just a suggestion though I’d paint the hanging bolt black to blend in . Now I need to find an old wagon wheel h😁