Amanda Freed Homes
Amanda Freed Homes
  • Waynesboro, VA

The Black & White Striped Twins

$50

You can check out the full blog post and more pictures at Theuglyducklingdecor.com

What is more classic and lux than a black and white stripe?

ALMOST NOTHING!

I started working with this fabric pattern back in 2017 when a client reached out to me about saving some childhood chairs of her's. She was inspired by something she saw on Pinterest and was hoping to achieve a similar look.

By the way, bless you people that trust me, an amateur, with such a sentimental projects.

the black white striped twins

Before

the black white striped twins

After

They turned out so beautifully that I had to included a similar design in the 2018 Lucketts Spring Market!

... Which sold in the first hour on the first day of the market...

Guess that means I need to makeover another set for this year!

the black white striped twins

Believe it or not the hardest part about a project like this is actually finding a pair of chairs that aren't wingbacks.

I was eventually able to find a set at a local auction and placed the highest bid for the win!

the black white striped twins

Even though they are a pair someone had decided that they should be sister vs twins.

My goal is to turn them back into twins!

the black white striped twins

I started by taking the cushions off and getting down to just the frame and guts.

the black white striped twins

Both got a light scuffing with some sandpaper and a coat of Lincoln Cottage Black by Valspar in a flat finish.

the black white striped twins

I let them dry over night before giving them both a little distressing and a protective coat of Minwax's Polycrylic Water Based Protective Coat in Clear Matte.

the black white striped twins

While that was drying I moved on to sewing the cording next which is my least favorite thing to do. 

I was also able to finish up re-covering the seat cushions as well. 

the black white striped twins

I always underestimate how much time it actually takes to put these projects back together.

I thought it would only take me an hour to apply the fabric to the backrest part of the chairs but after trying to get everything lined up and making sure staples are going in the right place... Well... Lets just say I was up much later than I wanted to be.

I used a staple gun to attach the fabric to the front of the backrest first.

* When working with a bold stripe like this, If you want all the stripes pointing in the same direction you want to make sure that all of your stripes line up from one section of the piece to the other.

the black white striped twins

At the last minute I decided to switch it up and turned the stripes horizontally on the back for a little extra visual interest. 

the black white striped twins

It was time to put these ladies back together by applying the cording I had sewn earlier and putting the cushion back into place!

the black white striped twins

So CLEAN & FRESH!

the black white striped twins
the black white striped twins

Once sisters, now twins and both will be coming to The Lucketts Spring Market which is May 17th-19th. 

It will be here before we know it!

Lincoln Cottage Black by Valspar in a flat finish
Amanda Freed Homes

• Kris

How did you apply the cording? Hot glue?

• Amanda Freed Homes

Hi Kris! I did apply the cording around the frame with hot glue but if you can see there is a little bit of cording between the seat cushion and the frame. That was actually attached with the staple onto the bottom of the seat cushion's frame before putting it back on the chair frame.

• Jmk

Stunning makeover! If you could speak more about how to make and apply the cording that would be great. Again, wow! Stunning!

• Amanda Freed Homes

Thank you so much! I did apply the cording around the frame with hot glue but if you can see there is a little bit of cording between the seat cushion and the frame. That was actually attached with the staple onto the bottom of the seat cushion's frame before putting it back on the chair frame.

• I wanna know how you sew and apply the cording...

• Amanda Freed Homes

Here is a great video on how to sew cording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJwe5bjXAvk

• Patricia

Beautiful! I was at a loss about what to do for our front porch chairs. This is definitely in the running

• Sarge
    30 minutes ago

I love how these chairs turned out!!