Nell, it is probably just the finish or sealer that has become discolored. Thank goodness you didn’t have a fire! Use a varnish stripper to get the sealer off, or go straight to a sander and sand the sealer off the top surfaces and the legs and any trim you can. Then you can either restain or paint the whole piece, stencil, distress, or add more trim, then reseal. Mrs. Obvious says, don’t leave and candle burning on a table without a dish or doily beneath it, and don’t burn any type of candle for three hours at a time. Alternate candles, or give the original candles a cool down break after two hours or less. I have found that even unlit candles from Body Works or Bed, Bath and Beyond share their scent in my foyer so I just add a couple of battery-operated candles nearby. This makes more of a display than a single candle, too. Best wishes!
Here you go and I wish you the best with getting the burns off your wood!
If you’ve something like red candle wax in the table, it’s in the pores and you’ll need to refinish the table.
Fortunately just the top can be redone quickly with a palm sander and painters tape at the edges.
here is a great article that has several ideas...good luck! https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-repair-burn-marks-on-a-wood-coffee-table
If nothing works, I would suggest either paint the table or sand the top and restain it - but fingers crossed one of the other ways works and this isn't needed!