Heather Cammack
Heather Cammack
  • Colfax, WA

Floating Pendant Light Side Table

$20

Whether you have a minimalist style, rustic taste or just need to save some space in your room, these floating side tables are an easy DIY solution. Any DIY'er could whip these puppies up in an hour or less.

Be sure to click the link to my blog for more details on this project and other DIY inspiration!

floating pendant light side table

Before beginning this project, I ordered two plug in pendant lights from Amazon. These are versatile, you can find them in multiple styles and colors, and best of all, are inexpensive.

floating pendant light side table

First, I gathered a few pieces of 2x8 wood scraps we had around. I then cut one long piece (30 inches) and one short (9.5 inches). Holding the long and short pieces together, I attached them with three screws from the bottom.

Be sure to drill holes before inserting your screws.

Also, I would suggest purchasing 1x8 boards for this project if you don't have scrap wood that you can use. 2x8 boards work just fine, but are a bit more expensive.

floating pendant light side table

I used my hand saw to make a channel for the pendant light cord. To do this, I set the blade at about 1/4 inch and made two passes down the center back of the side table.

floating pendant light side table

After giving my L shaped side table a quick sand, I gave it a spray down with a sealer. I skipped stain to keep that aged wood look.

This project could be finished in many different ways!

To create a support for the pendant light, I used a 2.5 inch pipe with an end cap and mount. My pipes were 1 inch pieces, but any size will work.

floating pendant light side table

Once all my plumbing pieces were screwed together, I mounted them to the top of my side table. I placed the mount about 2 inches down from the top.

floating pendant light side table

I got my pendant lights in place before mounting. This step really just depends on how low you want your light to hand. I wrapped the cord around my pipe support a couple times and tucked the extra cord into the channel I cut on the back.

To mount the table on the wall, screw them into a stud on either side of the bed using two three inch screws. You can also use heavy duty drywall anchors if studs aren't available.

floating pendant light side table

We really enjoy how the tables match our pallet headboard. You can find that tutorial here.

floating pendant light side table

Overall, these floating side tables are really handy for storing books, plants or even tissues for that darn cold season.

I hope this project inspires you to be creative, enjoy!

Heather Cammack

• Kevin

Couldn’t you run the light cord THROUGH the pipe instead of wrapping it around it? LOVE the whole project either way.

• Joe Jones

Or SM you drill a hold just behind the thread after the end of the cap just big enough for the light to drop out the bottom then it looks the same but the wire is hidden 100%. It just drops out the bottom of the pipe.

• Crumly

Does the on/off switch end up under the table then? Isn’t that inconvenient?

• Joe Jones

I’ve used those lights and the nice round insulated wire too. I just find that swinging lights are a pain to turn on and off if you’re laying in bed because you have to steady the light and turn the switch

• Joe Jones

Could you show a closer/ better picture of the mounting and the table hung on the wall? I’m still not picturing how you mounted it.

• Kent

Wrapping the electrical cord around a steel pipe is asking for trouble from stray voltage. It's basically creating an electro magnet.

• Chelsie Gray

I love this idea!! Gonna have to gets the husband's butt in gear..lol