Make Your Deck Unique With a Sunburst Deck Railing

$75
1 Day
Advanced

My favorite part of our DIY front deck is my husband's sunburst deck railing. It wasn't without its bumps and involved starting over but the finished product was worth it!
make your deck unique with a sunburst deck railing
This is where we started with our front deck project. You can read all about the reasons why we took down the trees here. 
make your deck unique with a sunburst deck railing, decks, diy, woodworking projects
There are 5 panels approximately six feet wide and 38″ from the deck to the top rail. The horizontal mid-rails are only temporary.
The frames are 2″ x 4″ horizontals and raw pickets for the vertical and the sunburst rays.
Roughing out the design gave me 7 sunburst rays, which I thought looked like a nice design.SURPRISE! The first design was out of compliance for spacing of railing pickets! They must be no further than 5″ at the widest point for safety reasons…don’t want a munchkin getting the noggin stuck. SO, this called for a re-design. I would HIGHLY advise checking the code in your area.
The second design allowed for compliance, spacing each picket no more than 4-1/2″ from its neighbor…that’s just how the spacing worked out for balance and symmetry. Again, measure, mark, cut, attach. You can see here how I left each picket a bit long. Once nailed, I just cut all the pickets off right at the edge of the frame. The only pickets that stayed in their original locations were the center and the two corners. Everything else adjusted to them
Love the way you can see pops of color on the deck through the railing.
It is a bit more busy than I originally intended, but this design gives us substantially more privacy. So, we went from seven pickets to nineteen!
We have since established a flower bed with six beautiful red knock-out roses across the front. These should really soften the bottom part of the visual.
You can see the finished product in this picture and read about how we stained our wood deck in this post.
Marty's Musings

• Heidi Burroughs

How to cover a cabinet made from chip board.

• If you are trying to use this kind of wood as a finished product for cabinets personally I would not reccommend this. Factories will use a "lamination" process that looks like a painted finish and/or simulated wood laminate. However there is a nice product made by PP&G called Styx which is very durable and semi friendly to the typical DIY'er However I would be sure to read the label and/or the MSDS sheets on the process and design of the product. Many of the "directions" printed on the "store bought" don't give you the real world process on the actual application methods.

• Angie DeLeon-Flores

What if my deck is made out of cement?

• Use a concrete stain designed for how the deck is getting exposed to the elements and what part of the country you're in as it does vary. I live in Southwest Florida (semi-retired) and been a professional painter all my life and I like the H&C stain myself (xylene base) as I dont think anything acrylic holds up as well. Be sure to ask your sales rep at your local paint store for the right product for your situation

• Jane Barela

How can I make my metal patio with wood pillars more cozy?