CD's CountryLiving
CD's CountryLiving
  • Caledonia, MN

5 Easy Steps to Lay a Vinyl Tile Floor

$50

I had my doubts when we decided to use peel and stick vinyl tile for the floors in our half bath. Could something so inexpensive actually be of good quality? There was plenty of information on the web, but it was mixed reviews and so confusing. Now that the installation of our new floor is complete, I've come up with 5 easy and basic steps to make the project super simple and I'm sharing my review on the product I used.

5 easy steps to lay a vinyl tile floor

When I was trying to come up with a design plan for our half bath remodel, I came upon this lovely patterned vinyl tile. I couldn't believe it was peel and stick and to be honest, I almost moved on with my search. But after doing some research I decided it was worth the risk, so I bought it. When it arrived I was actually surprised by the quality of the tiles but still concerned because this bathroom is the only one on our first floor and does get a lot of traffic.

Bathroom floor-Before
Bathroom floor-Before

After we gutted the entire bathroom this was the floor we had to work with. Not exactly what we expected. On top of there being water damage, two areas in the floor were totally uneven. In the end we had to tear out the whole floor and start over.

5 easy steps to lay a vinyl tile floor

Once we reinforced the floor and installed a subfloor of 5/8" plywood it was time to start tiling.

Supplies needed:

Vinyl Tile -We used Floor Pops Peel and Stick

A good quality primer (if you are starting with a plywood subfloor).

Adhesive

Calk Gun (for adhesive)

Measuring Tape

Pencil

Retractable Razor Blade

Rubber Roller

Damp Cloth

5 easy steps to lay a vinyl tile floor

To ensure proper adhesion we applied one coat of paint/primer to the subfloor and allowed it to dry overnight.

Step #1 - Find the center of the room

Using your pencil and measuring tape draw a line horizontally and vertically from one end of the room to the other.

Step Two-Lay down your first tile and work your way out, matching the tile pattern (if you have one) as you go. Since many of the reviews on the product we used stated there was an issue with matching up the pattern, we did a test run. ***We did not have any issues but we did purchase an extra box of tiles just in case.

5 easy steps to lay a vinyl tile floor

Step Three: Apply a thin line of adhesive on the subfloor for each tile. **The tile does come with a sticky adhesive which I'm sure is plenty good for most projects. But since our room does get a lot of traffic we decided to add more to be on the safe side.

Step Four: Remove the paper backing from the tile and press firmly into place.

5 easy steps to lay a vinyl tile floor

Step Five: Use the roller to press out any excess adhesive and air bubbles. **If any adhesive seeps out use the damp cloth to wipe up immediately.

5 easy steps to lay a vinyl tile floor

We allowed the tile adhesive to set up and dry completely (1-2 days) before we washed the floor.

CD's CountryLiving

• Eva

Won't this time stile peel if wet mine did in bathroom

• Jamie

I replaced the carpet in my used trailor with cheap peel and stick tile. Just check the thickness as you do not want it to be too thin and wear through. We got a can of adhesive and put the tiles down on it. It has been 10 years now and it is still sticking great.

• Linda

can I paint over vinyl floor, What can I use?

• CD's CountryLiving

I’m not sure I understand your question, Linda. If you want to install these peel and stick tiles over your vinyl floor you do not need to prime it first. Just a good cleaning and thorough check that the existing floor is in in good shape. Hope that helps!😀

• Diane

Can you put this vinyl over tile. It is flat