Morgan McBride
Morgan McBride
  • Charleston, SC

Bifold Closet Door Makeover

$40

Our bifold closet doors are so boring and outdated. I'd love to add swing out doors, but there just isn't space in this small room. Instead of replacing them, we updated the doors with molding. This is a super inexpensive and easy update.

bifold closet door makeover

Here's how boring the doors were before. Nothing wrong with them, just blah.

bifold closet door makeover

We used 1/4"x1.5" slats for our molding. Cut it to size custom to fit your doors, then sand the molding cut edges for a smooth finish.

Use a nail gun to apply molding to each door. We added as a frame on each door and a few cross pieces, too.

bifold closet door makeover

Caulk all your seams and nail holes.

bifold closet door makeover

Finally, paint them. You could use a brush but we used our paint sprayer, because it's a fun toy. It took 2 coats to fully cover.

We had to paint the lower walls and ceiling the same color, anyways!

bifold closet door makeover

We also added new knobs. The old ones screwed out and I added these silver pulls, which are the same knobs that I put on the dresser for this room. Cohesion is so important!

Don't they look so much better?

Be sure to click over and see our full nursery DIY makeover!

• 1/4"x1.5" slats
  • Brad nailer
  • Caulk
Morgan McBride

• Karen

Do you have project details for your ceiling treatment? I would love to cover my popcorn ceilings this way.

• Mar

i love that ceiling too. do u use beadboard or tongue and groove?

• Mar

thanks Morgan, this video is just what we needed!! We have a modular factory built house that we really want to do something different to the ceiling...and we were thinking about beadboard! thanks for your video link :)

• Karen

Awesome

• Jewellmartin

Definitely looks nicer, and not just the doors, but the walls and ceiling, also. As for the popcorn ceilings, we would love to have ours replaced. Chip Gaines make it look so simple, but every room in our house is a different height and shape. We are too old to be on scaffolding, so it makes sense to hire pros. But cents per foot means many $, so a headboard or other wood overlay may be more sensible. But the alternative is a month in the winter on the beach. Hmm, hard decision.