What kinds of outdoor lighting is best for a small backyard?

+6

Hi, I just finished the home renovation. My backyard size is around 100 sq. meter. Currently I am looking for user-friendly yard lights. I know that there are many types of outdoor lighting such as spot light, strip light, flood light, etc. What is their difference and how should I arrange the lights to fit my small garden? Thanks.

• Susan Ellis Yamakawa Susan Ellis Yamakawa on Apr 05, 2019

Flood lights and spot lights would need to be installed.We enjoy solar lights

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Apr 05, 2019

A lot of folk are going for the solar lights, but they require batteries. I have seen the small lights placed on trees and they are very attractive in the dark, If you can get something in the solar line, you will not have to worry about plug ins.

• Dee Dee on Apr 05, 2019

I just installed LED lights that go on at dusk and off at dawn. Home Depot and Lowes has many different kinds. Don't get them on Amazon. I had a problem 8 TIMES with a light purchased there. It failed within 2-3 weeks every time. Finally got fed up and went to the hardware store.

• Oliva Oliva on Apr 06, 2019

I would not worry about using good quality solar lights. Some of these batteries have lasted more than 10 years!

• Bob in Florida. Bob in Florida. on Apr 06, 2019

Low voltage, LED. Possibly solar.

• TheHoneycombHome TheHoneycombHome on Apr 07, 2019

You could try hanging strands of string lights, those always look pretty!

• Shelly Logan Shelly Logan on Apr 07, 2019

If you do not want to wire the lights in the garden, you can use the solar spotlight. You can just insert them into the lawn. They will receive and store the sunlight energy and thus reuse them at night. https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Spotlight-Adjustable-Landscape-Security/dp/B073S23DHY

Flood lights can be acted as security lights because it provides bright and broad illumination. You can select the products with motion sensor and dusk to dawn function for easier manipulation.

Actually, there are tons of ways to decorate your backyard. Check out their ideas, and you will get some help. https://recessedlightspro.com/ways-to-decorate-the-backyard-with-lighting/

• Beni Beni on Jul 08, 2020

Hi Ross Allison,

Once you decide to invest in some outdoor lighting ideas you’ll spend hours trying to decide what kind of outdoor lighting works best for you. I found the most useful information about outdoor lighting ideas on RealEstateAgent.com

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 12, 2021

Hello Ross, Have you had a look at "Sola Lights"?