Asked on Apr 6, 2019

How do I cover wire shelves so everything doesn’t fall over?

Twyla J BoyerDonaTas7581955
+8

My apartment has wire shelves in the refrigerator as well as in the pantry closet. Everything I place on the shelves ends up toppling over and falling through. What can I use that is DIY, a.k.a. free if possible or very inexpensive, that can remedy this? At the moment, I am using large low-sided cardboard boxes from the grocery store, the kind of holds flats of berries in. But it is not ideal.

• Mogie
    Mogie

We used some thin wood cut about 1/8 inch smaller than the shelf itself. Just painted the wood to match the wire shelving (it was white so not to hard to match) so the wood doesn't look bad. If you want to get creative and recycle you can use the backs of cd covers.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello, I had the same problem with builders grade closet shelving and I used dollar store foamcore sheets custom cut to pad the shelving and protect my clothing and accessories from lined impressions.

• Shore grandmom
    Shore grandmom

Pick up cutting boards in assorted sizes from thrift shops, garage sales, estate sales, etc.

• Beth
    Beth

1/4" plywood would be the cheapest solution, and once painted in semi-gloss, would blend in really well.

• Mary Boger
    Mary Boger

Vinyl placemats.

• Cathy Cook
    Cathy Cook

Plexiglass....cut to size at Lowe’s!

• Naomi
    Naomi

Lowe has a liner in a roll in the area with shelving.it is plastic and same color as wire shelving.

• Sally-Charles Evans
    Sally-Charles Evans

And if you want FREE....get some heavy cardboard for the closet shelves. In the fridge I would go with something plastic because of the moisture.

• Tas7581955
    Tas7581955

I also used plexiglass in the fridge.

• Dona
    Dona

Ikea sells plastic shelf liner. It's pretty inexpensive. about 20 inches by 48. It's on the clear side with small ridges, heavy enough for the fridge. I have it in an extra fridge in the basement that also has wire shelfs, and that's what I used. If you're not near an Ikea you can find similar lining at Lowes or any home renovation store.

• Twyla J Boyer
    Twyla J Boyer

Dollar Tree sells 2 packs of disposable cutting mats. They are a plastic and about as thick as a piece of posterboard. They work well on wire shelves, can be cut to fit with regular scissors, and can be put in the dishwasher if they get dirty or messy. That's about the cheapest food-safe solution I can offer.