Blender Composting

Spending time in bear country, where kitchen garbage cannot be left outside in a can, I developed a method of composting that does not generate odors. I blend the peelings that would normally go on the compost pile. This works for soft vegetable material only. Hard woody stems and seeds, and the outside skins of onion and garlic won't blend. I spread it outside over a wide area where it breaks down quickly and does not smell. Great for naturally fertilizing the ground. I've often thought that it would work well in the city, just grind and flush it away without building up smelly garbage.
Don't pack it down, fill with water to 1"
Just drop the peelings in and fill the blender with water to within 1" of the top. If it is too thick, your blender motor will burn out (speaking from experience!). For this reason, blend on "high" so the motor can use the maximum power. Blend for 30-60 seconds.
Ready to spread. The blender cleans easily.
Any colour fades within a day. It could be made even more dilute.

3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!

1 comment