Tracey Bellion
Tracey Bellion
  • San Antonio, TX

Bold Boho Cactus Wall Mural

$20

Our family is growing! We are expecting a new little granddaughter in May….and we couldn’t be more excited! While the room is not ready for sharing just yet….the bold boho cactus wall mural is!!

bold boho cactus wall mural

So let’s take a look and I’ll share with you via photos its progression!

post

I drew each cactus onto the wall using a sharpie marker. I did not use a projector or a pattern or a pencil….lol! I just went full free form and it was so simple this way!

I always say…don’t make it harder than it needs to be!

post

I began by filling in each cactus leaf with the darker colors first…and layering to the lightest of colors last. I used  Dixie Belle Chalk Paints…as you know they are my go-to for all DIY painting projects. They are NOT just for furniture painting!

I filled in about 50% of the majority of the leaves with this combo as you can see above.

post

My son and daughter-in-law pre-painted the room in this lovely shade of lavender to serve as a soft backdrop for the cacti (so weird to use the word cacti….LOL).

post

I then returned to each of those same leaves and added the greens. I used a light pale green first….and then very freely swiped on a bit of bold green and finally turquoise.

To see exactly which colors I used, check out my blog (linked below)!

post

Every unpainted leaf….the other 50% that I didn't blend with the colors above….I filled in completely with the lightest green.

You can see my little helper, Kinsey, above. She watched me paint all day….and just before bed she asked to help! So I let her help me paint a few of the remaining unpainted cactus leaves. Isn’t she precious???

post

You can see in the picture above…that I highlighted each light green leaf with a magenta and a bit of white.

And lastly….I added these cactus blossoms randomly throughout the design. I filled in the tiny unopened blossom with the magenta color and then colored in the actual blossom with two pinks. I shadowed the base of the blossom with amethyst.

post

I couldn’t be happier with the final bold boho cactus wall mural!! And what is most important….is that my son and daughter-in-law (Blake and Elyse) love it as much as I do!!! 

And now the room is prepped and ready to finish for my sweet new grand baby.

Take a look at the my full blog post (link below) for more photos a detailed list of the specific Dixie Belle paint colors used!

Follow me on Instagram @traceysfancy and Facebook @traceysfancy  for more inspiration and don't forget to   sign up to receive my emails to get a first look at all my upcoming projects!!

Tracey Bellion

• Vera

how many cans or oz did you use for the cabinets

• MW

Outstanding! By far the most creative and beautiful I’ve seen on Hometalks. Your very talented but I think I can copy this myself it’s so simple if I just follow your guidelines. I have a 2 story townhouse ( no kids, I’m a single male) and want to do this up my staircase. Can you think of a cool wall color other than lavender? My walls now are a light tan but was thinking of repainting in gray tones. WOW! THANK YOU.

• Aryn Mellinger Nussbaumer

I think grays would look good with that or pale blue or pale green and use a little darker green in the actual cactus.

• Jea42098328

Beautiful job! Now that's talent!

• AndradeTea

It's beautiful! Thank you for sharing your project.

• Patty Morgan

I really love the color combination. The sheets on the crib look so beautiful as well. Such a good idea for a babies room.