Asked on Apr 6, 2019

How do you get a beautiful uniform glaze from resin?

SharonLynn SorrellKelli L. Milligan
+2

I had a little dolly I use to cart food that needing a finishing on top. I put an acrylic stain on it, let it cure for 2 weeks or more. I mixed part A and part B of the resin and applied to table. Immediately it started to recede in round circles just like Swiss cheese. I followed all directions...what did I do wrong?

• Unique Creations By Anita

It is possible that the surface was not level. Do you have a picture?

Seal before including in resin. Any item that can take up water needs to be sealed before using in resin. You will get voids.

https://www.artresin.com/blogs/artresin/oh-sh-t-ep-3-divots

• Kelli L. Milligan

Sounds like you are mixing a hot finish with a cold finish, they don't like each other. I'm afraid you'll have to start over.

• Lynn Sorrell

Bare spots, or voids, happen when something sitting on the surface of your artwork and repels the ArtResin, preventing it from adhering. It could be silicon residue or even something like lotion or natural oils from your hands that transferred onto your piece when you handled it.

Here's how to fix it. what you need to do is seal those spots ( we know for sure that Clear Levelling Gel by Golden paints works with bare spots from oily residue ). You need to create a barrier between whatever is repelling the resin and your fresh coat. So coat the spots with the sealant, then sand the rest of resin ( you need to create some tooth for your fresh resin coat to adhere to ). Wipe off the sanding residue and then pour your fresh coat - it'll look good as new!not sure about a spray sealant - haven't tried using a spray sealant - but Golden's Clear Levelling Gel works very well to prevent divots/circling. Apply the levelling gel and let it dry, prior to applying your ArtResin. If you do try a spray sealant, please let us know your results!

• Sharon

I would only use epoxy finish on top of marine paint myself.