Asked on Apr 7, 2019

How do I get rid of stink bugs?

BetsyCindyDebbie K

• Debbie K

Hi Lorri, Soapy Water. Soap is effective in killing stinkbugs as it breaks down their exterior and leaves them dehydrated. A soapy water mixture can be sprayed directly on the stinkbugs. The safest option is to use a mild detergent, which will take care of the stink bugs without damaging your property or health.

• Cindy

Hi Lorri. I did a bit of reading about stink bugs. I learned that you should never step on a stink bug because they produce an awful smell. They are notorious for getting in a house during cold weather and staying mostly out of sight. They can be found in crawl spaces, attics,inside walls, folds in drapes, and other areas that get little attention or movement. When warm weather begins, they become active. Here's a way to get rid of them: Use a desk light with white, black or blue light to bring the bugs to a specific location. They are naturally attracted to these types of light. Put a pan of soapy water right under the desk lamp. Within 12 hours, they should begin to come to the pan. The soapy water will kill them. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Hi Lorri: Give this a shot: In the spirit of being planet-friendly, there are some things to try before resorting to any chemicals. In a spray bottle, combine 32 ounces of hot water and three-quarters of a cup of Dawn dish washing liquid and spray the exterior of your home, concentrating on those cracks, windows and doors. For an extra kick, you can use the anti-bacterial variety, but understand that it contains additional chemicals.

Or, when you see them, you can spray them with Lysol. Here is a site that might help: https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Stink-Bugs-Naturally

Good luck