A
A
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Vineland, NJ

Salty Beach Chair

$0

I picked up this child's wooden folding chair last summer at a flea market. It has been sitting in my garage, waiting for inspiration (or, at least, for me to remember it was there). Anyway, flash forward to today...the day I remembered it and dug it out of the project pile. I've been doing projects lately that have required a bit of energy, and dare I say, enthusiasm. Today, however, I was fresh out of both but I still wanted to accomplish something. I dedicate this project to those IG (instant gratification) DIYers out there. Simple, quick, and oh so wonderful!

salty beach chair

The chair is really adorable, but in its present state, in dire need of a little umph! To take back some of the color, I sprayed it with full strength bleach and let it dry in the sun. When it was dry, I wiped it down with a cloth to remove any residue.

salty beach chair

In a plastic cup, I mixed one part white paint (any flat paint will do) to 6 parts tap water. This is not a set formula. Do what you are comfortable with. The more water, the less color will settle on the surface.

salty beach chair

I dipped my brush into the paint mixture and then blotted most of it off onto a paper towel.

salty beach chair

I brushed all over the chair, making sure to hit all the nooks and crannies. I went back over some areas to brush on more color. Because I wanted the chair to look naturally worn by the salt air, I made sure to turn the chair in every direction so I wouldn't miss anything.

salty beach chair

After about 15 minutes of dry brushing, the chair has taken on the appearance of years at the beach!