I recently purchased a plate rack from an online auction for $2. It appeared as though the center shelf was sagging so I assumed it was cheaply made, but thought I could use the spindles on the sides and build something to fit the space. But once I picked it up I was delighted to see that it was from Bombay Company and solid wood! Score!!
I FINALLY Found a Way to Camouflage Our Awkwardly Placed Switches
There’s a wall that’s front-and-center on our main floor that has awkwardly placed switches. I’ve tried so many things over the past 5 years to camouflage them. I’ve tried different art pieces. I’ve tried placing MANY art pieces. I’ve tried placing tall vases on the table. I’ve tried shorter vases with tall flowers. But nothing I did seemed to look right. I also considered floating shelves, but the way everything didn’t line up it just wouldn’t work. And every time I sat on the couch my eyes were constantly drawn to those switches. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-switches…but these were just an eye sore I couldn’t seem to ignore! One of them controls the bathroom fan on another floor. Wait what? Why?! I’ve spoken to a few people about having it removed, but apparently live wires dangling inside a wall is a bad thing. Who knew! ;)
But it was not going to fit like it was. So I took it all apart, which was very easy as it was just screwed together with the spindles. I didn’t even need to use tools! Once it was apart I cut two shelves (not the sagging one) to my maximum width that would be required in order for it to clear the light switches on the left and still remain centered on the wall. I used a miter saw, but a hand saw would work just as well.
I then sanded the edges and drilled new holes to accommodate the spindles. I used a metal plate as a guide to ensure my holes lined up perfectly.
Then I re-assembled the shelf to its new custom size. I used gel stain to cover the ends, where it had been cut. I just dabbed it on with a cloth and it blended perfectly!
Then I attached the new custom sized shelf to the wall.
The next step was to stylize the shelf. The framed art that was originally on the table was the perfect size to cover the useless fan switch! And given that the shelf was a plate rack it already had the little grooves to hold the frames securely in place! So I printed out a couple of new pictures to freshen up the artwork. I’m loving highland cows and owl imagery these days, so I went with those!
Then I thought maybe I could mask the thermostat a little if I had something that would flow off to the side. I immediately thought of ivy, so I went off to the dollar store to get some faux foliage. I used a little tea light holder I recently bought for 10 cents at a thrift store as a base for the foliage. I didn’t have any of that foam stuff for arranging flowers, and they didn’t have at the dollar store, so I improvised and used a regular sponge. I poked a few pilot holes through it with an awl. But even with pilot holes, I wouldn’t recommend using regular sponges. It was pretty hard to work with!
Once the foliage was in place I pulled back the foam from the edges of the holder and filled it with gold crushed stone I picked up at the dollar store.
And finally, after 5 years, when I look at that wall my eyes are no longer drawn to those ill placed switches. They land squarely on that sweet highland cow! :)
And added bonus, I still have wood & spindles left over that I’m sure to use for something!