Connie
Connie
Asked on Apr 9, 2019

How to clean flower pots?

KamiJoy30150932Dfm
+2

How and why do we need to clean used flower pots that we want to use again

Connie

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Connie, this is Peggy. I hope this will help you get your flower pots clean and ready for the summer planting. To disinfect pots, soak them in a solution containing one part household bleach to 9 parts water for a minimum of 10 minutes. Then put pots in a dish detergent and water solution. To clean clay pots use steel wool or a wire-bristle brush to remove mineral deposits and other debris.Mar 16, 1994

Cleaning and Disinfecting Plant Containers | Horticulture and Home ...

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/1994/3-16-1994/clean.html

• Oliva

To answer the why...it's to clean pots of fungus, mites, etc. that may have overwintered, and give plants a better chance of survival. Healthy plants are less likely to succumb to disease.

• Dfm

plants have diseases that can be picked up by being outside, those diseases can be spread to several other plants. having a clean pot and fresh growing medium kinda negates those issues

• Joy30150932

Place them in a pail or tub with warm water, a bit of bleach and dish liquid and let soak. Us a rag or brush to remove the dirt from the outside and the inside.

• Kami

Love all of our smart hometalkers! The only other thing I do is use my dogs kiddy pool and put several pots in at one time. I have way too many and want to save time. It’s also nice to keep the mess outside.