Christie
Christie
Asked on Apr 10, 2019

How do I tile over a Formica counter?

Retta ParksJewellmartinEm
+3

I want to tile over my formica kitchen counters. I want to tile a backsplash also. Should the tiles match or can I use one type for the backsplash and a different type for the countertops?

Use tile mastic on the laminate top. Thin set will not hold. You can use different tile on the counter and different tile for the backsplash.

• Joy30150932

I would use two different tiles but co-ordinate the colors somewhat. Be sure to use the correct compound the set the tiles in either space. Try roughing up your counter top first so that the compound will adhere better.

• Em

Loctite makes a dynamite caulking for this. Easy to put on the tile back. I would use a different tile on the backsplash. Too much of a good thing is ....well... too much.

• Jewellmartin

The compound is the thick mastic, and its in every tile dept. or flooring or cabinet store. And there are no rules about matching the countertops and backsplash. In fact, currently, having the backsplash different is more common and eye catching. Please yourself!

• Retta Parks

I had this done. I want to caution you about the heights. After the job was finished, we learned that there was not enough height for the coffee pot to sit in its accustomed place! There is a hanging cabinet above the new ceramic counter.