Nancy
Nancy
  • Galveston, TX
Asked on Apr 11, 2019

How do I clean off paint?

PVimarhonorCheryl Williamsen
+7

Any suggestions on how to get the old paint off the plate on the chandelier without taking the whole thing down. This chandelier is very old and apparently the paint has been on it for a very very long time.

q how do i clean off paint

Cover the chandelier with a plastic garbage bag. Use Citristrip stripper. it's a gel so minimal dripping. Use a small paint brush to put it on. The paint will bubble. Wipe off with paper towels or rags. Use an old toothbrush dipped in the stripper to get in the crevices. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

• Cheryl Williamsen

Goo Off or Goo Gone will eventually take it off. I would mask the ceiling with painters tape first, as you’ll need to saturate it.

What is the metal of this ceiling plate? I ask, in the event you want to scrub it with a saturated green nylon scrubber.

• Vimarhonor

Hello Nancy, I would consider painting over the plate the same color of the chandelier. Its hard for me to determine is the chandelier a true metallic color? It could be painted with acrylic craft paints while hanging in place another consideration might be rubnbuff. Acrylic paints can be found in a rainbow of colors ( flat satin gloss and metallic) in 2 oz bottles at Walmart or craft stores.

Rubnbuff alone or on top of the acrylic paints. I’ve used Rub n buff on picture frames and pewter candlesticks. It’s a waxy rub on that worked well for my needs. It can lighten or darken. Its adds a metallic luster. It would be perfect to make the intricate details of that decorative cover plate pop.

Have a look at the website possible color options, reviews Q&A to to see if it’s a product you might wish to consider. Be sure to consider turn the power off if painting near electrical wiring/ lighting to be safe. I hope this helps.

http://www.amaco.com/t/mixed-media/metallic-finishes/rub-n-buff

https://www.amazon.com/AMACO-Metallic-Finish-Ebony-0-5-Fluid/dp/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_bxgy_201_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00081HYE6&pd_rd_r=D69ZW30FXPG7FV7B3TPP&pd_rd_w=qeFGu&pd_rd_wg=0y8SD&psc=1&refRID=D69ZW30FXPG7FV7B3TPP

https://www.michaels.com/rub-n-buff-wax-metallic-finish/M10183569.html

• Vimarhonor

Understood and I appreciate the determination to get to the original finish. Please be sure to wear protection goggles, gloves and protective clothing if you are using noxious caustic chemicals “upside down” to avoid emergency drip mishaps. Best wishes with the restoration!

• P

you can help protect your floor & whatever else is under the chandelier by hanging a plastic (not fabric) umbrella, with a hook handle, from the chandelier, open & upside down -

• Nancy

Thank you for that great idea I never thought of that. I guess there was a reason I had hung onto a broken umbrella, LOL.