Star Wars X-wing Fighter Wall Art

$100
Advanced

After getting ripped off on the Internet when I tried to buy some Star Wars art for my husband’s man cave I decided to just make something myself that would truly be unique. This back lit X-Wing fighter was the result. He absolutely loved it and it matched the room well.

star wars x wing fighter wall art

First thing I did was get a large piece of 1/8 in maple plywood and draw the image i wanted on it. I was thinking an X-Wing fighter would be a great fit for the Star Wars Themed Room.

star wars x wing fighter wall art

Next I cut it out. That was fun. I highly recommend getting a roto-zip for this. it worked great and allowed me to cut around the smaller details.

star wars x wing fighter wall art

I wanted the ship to have a bit of unique texture so I decided to at it using some Deco Podge.

star wars x wing fighter wall art

I used a thin newsprint wrapping paper that had some grey coloring. I considered using regular newspaper, but there were too many colored photos and fonts and I didn't want it to be too distracting.

star wars x wing fighter wall art

Once the Deco-podge dried I painted the spaceship using acrylic paints with a photo of the ship as an example for coloring. I wanted it to have an almost 3d appearance so I tried to make the shadows harsh.

star wars x wing fighter wall art

Almost done. I added a couple of clear coats of satin polyurethane to protect the paint job.

star wars x wing fighter wall art

Got the finished product hung up. To accomplish this I added 1" x 2" boards along the back of the piece to allow for hanging attachments and for the lighting. It also made the plywood more stable. Oh, and I added backlit using led tape light that I purchased from IKEA. It changes colors.

star wars x wing fighter wall art

Looks cool in the dark too.

• Lynda Wallis

Was your hubby THRILLED?? What a wonderfully fun and thoughtful gift. Way to go!

• Rory McBean
    Yesterday

OMG! I am a huge Star Wars fan (I saw the first movie 15 times when I was a teen!), so trust me when I say that your fighter is incredible! Your ability to make the ship look three-dimensional is awe inspiring. I would buy this in a heart beat!

• Cheryl Kengott Wypyski
    31 minutes ago

Fabulous