DIY Barndoor Hardware for a Shelving Unit

$40

Barndoors are everywhere but the hardware can get pretty expensive to buy and it was actually too big from what I needed. After doing a lot or research online and a few trips to the hardware store, I came up with a way to make my own hardware ** with only hand tools** for doors that will cover up part of a large shelving unit.

I will go over the main steps to make this DIY barndoor hardware and if you want more details for each step, this video has all the information you need.

diy barndoor hardware for a shelving unit

The biggest challenge was to find wheels - after wondering around the hardware store for a while I came across these patio door roller kits which you can also get online. The 1 1/2" wheels were the perfect size and after testing them on a 1/4" thick aluminum metal bar, I knew they would work.

I used a hacksaw to cut the 1/4" thick, 1" wide aluminum metal bar (I got it at the hardware store) into 4 pieces (2 per door).

I drilled 3 holes is each bar using a regular drill bit and drill - one larger hole for attaching the wheel and the other 2 for the bolts that will attach the hardware to the door.

Next I attached the wheels to the bars with the hardware that comes with the kit. It wasn't possible to tighten the nut very much so I used some glue to fix it into place so it doesn't come off.

I used 3/4" plywood for the doors and used a template to mark the location of the holes for the hardware - it's important to be very accurate so the doors hang straight!

I used nuts and bolts to attach the hardware to the doors.

The bar on which the doors will hang needed to sit far away from the shelving so the doors could slide back and forth easily. So I needed some spacers that were hollow so the screws could go in and not be seen. I wasn't sure what I could use and then I got my solution when I was at lunch with a friend - she pulled out a stainless steel straw from her purse - just what I needed. I went online and I found these stainless steel straws - they are the perfect diameter for what I needed.

I marked the length of each spacer using tape and then used a mini pipe cutter to cut down the straw into the pieces I needed.

I placed the spacers behind the bar behind each hole and I screwed the bar in place.

And voila! DIY barndoor hardware!

Love how this turned out - the doors slide really well and I love the metal look (the only thing missing is a stopper at the ends to prevent the doors from sliding off the rails). If you're planning on making these, watch the video or go to my blog for a detailed list of tools and materials that I used.

• Patio roller door kit  (online)
  • Stainless steel straws  (online)
Engineer Your Space

• Bubbe
    Yesterday

Love it!! I would put a decorative knob at the end of the top or middle shelf.

• Rena Noele
    Yesterday

This is a brilliant and economical way to install something that a trend right now.