Noting Grace
Noting Grace
  • Columbia, TN

DIY Front Door Transformation

$500

Do you live with an ugly dated door? Here is how we changed our entryway with this Glass Door insert and how you can easily change the look of your home in just a few hours!

diy front door transformation

This is – by far – THE scariest DIY we have ever tackled. But I’m so happy with the results and wished I would have done this sooner.

BUT IT MEANT CUTTING A HOLE IN OUR FRONT DOOR.

Say what?

You heard me right.

diy front door transformation

Instead of spending thousands of dollars on a new door and a few hundred more having it installed, you can do this yourself for a fraction of the cost. So let’s start with where we began and what materials you’ll need for this DIY.

MATERIALS

Your existing door

Glass Insert (we ordered the  Jacinto Glass insert from Zabitat)

Saw horses

Masking Tape

Tape Measure

Pencil

Drill (use a metal bit if your door is metal)

Jigsaw

Screwdriver

Ear and Eye Protection

diy front door transformation

Before you start – know that this is a 2 person job. If you’re the incredible hulk and can hoist heavy metal and glass doors on your own, then maybe you could do this alone, but if not – grab a buddy to help you.

We began by removing the door and setting it on sawhorses. Even though you won’t be cutting through the entire door, check to ensure your sawhorses won’t interfere with any cuts – just in case.

Measure your area and mark with a pencil. For our glass, we had to measure 23″ X 65″, but this measurement varies for the size of door and glass you use.

Tape off the area where you will cut – basically this prevents fraying and also helps to see the line to cut.

Flip the door over and repeat the taping process because you will be cutting both sides of the door.

diy front door transformation

Next, drill a pilot hole for your jigsaw. A jigsaw isn’t made for plunge cuts, so you’re creating a starter hole for your jigsaw blade.

diy front door transformation

Set your jigsaw blade to a 1 inch depth. Our jigsaw is a basic model that doesn’t allow for those adjustments. So we purchased a shorter metal blade that would do the trick.

Flip it over and repeat the cuts on the other side.

diy front door transformation

After you cut both sides of the door, remove the middle and set the door to the side.

diy front door transformation

Next, carefully place your glass insert on the sawhorses with the screw side frame facing up and unscrew and remove the top frame.

diy front door transformation

Place the door over the glass and reassemble the frame. Also, make sure the screw side is on the interior of the door.

diy front door transformation

Then you hang it back in place.

CRAZY, right?!

It already looks a million times better! Now all that needed to be done was painting it.

diy front door transformation

We painted the door a nice satin black.

diy front door transformation

Finally – no more dark and dreary entryway! This Front Door Makeover has not only changed the look of my house from the exterior, but brightened up my entryway as well.

diy front door transformation

So if you hate your front door, or are hesitant to take on this project, I’m here to tell you that you can do it! Don’t be afraid to find economical ways to create a home you love – even if it means doing something scary. It will be so worth it!

If you want details of our entire exterior makeover - you can see more details here:

http://notinggrace.com/how-to-limewash-a-brick-home/

Noting Grace

• Sabby

I love this and you were brave to try, but with the cost of that insert, I can buy almost the same BRAND NEW door for less than $100 more from Home Depot. So why?

• Cathy

did you make the design on the window or bought it like that

• Karen Dunn

How did you seal the window?