You're Painting It Green? Hutch Top Makeover.

$20

I love to create the unusual. To have a unique piece you need to be creative. I picked this hutch top up for free over a year ago and when I was cleaning and organizing my storage I found it tucked way in the back. I had just picked up some legs from a small table that was thrown on the side of the road, I will stop and gut a piece of furniture for legs, hinges, knobs, anything I can use, anyhow as soon as I seen the hutch top I immediately wanted to put those legs with it. I also wanted to paint it green.

Here is the top. I removed the glass from the side panels as I wanted to do a stain shaded image on them. We built the box for the legs out of 1x3 and attached the legs like you would for a table. I put pocket holes in the box and then glued and screwed the box for the legs to the hutch top.

Shocking right? When I showed this to people I just got the polite, “that’s green”, lol. My daughter was a flat “no” and swore I would be repainting it. It is Greenway from Valspar. I buy a gallon of flat interior paint for $13 at Lowe’s. I mix 2cups paint 1/2 cup Plaster of Paris and 1/4 cup of water in an old blender to make my own chalk paint, I love this as I have so many colors to choose from this way. I prefer chalk paint as it is less prep, more finishing though. I used liquid deglosser on the whole piece as it was made from laminate. It works so great for this and much easier than priming!

Wow! I was in love right away, my husband just said he would wait until I finished before commenting. I wasn’t worried...or was I, lol.

I love to create art pieces using just wood stain. I use wipe on stain. I draw my image on with a pencil then use stain like paint to create the image. Sunflowers are my favorite!

Oh Mylanta! It was even more beautiful than I had planned. I feel it is vintage to the tenth degree. It made me want to change my decor so I could keep it, lol.

I added a vintage Edison bulb light fixture, dark waxed the whole thing inside and out, put wood stained wood shelves in and a new wood back on it. I sealed it with satin wipe on polyurethane before putting on the dark wax,

My daughter could not believe it and my husband said he knew it was going to be beautiful. I love it. If you would like to see more of my work here is my Facebook page. Www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

• Bek

WOW! While I'm not a big "green" person, I do have a piece similar to this, and a can of turquoise paint, AND an office in a Southwestern motif with turquoise accents! Think those sunflowers would mind becoming either Kokopeli or kachinka figures?

• Bek

It will be a little while, Robyn, but I'll try to remember to post!

• Shuganne

You put stain on glass? Wouldn't it wash off? I've heard of etched glass (even have some that I'd like to clean away) but is the stain permanent?

• Dfm

You made my day...memaw is a term I haven’t heard in years!

• Rita

Are you going to use it as a china hutch or something else? Looks great!

• Sue c.

I am a "green" person and have a full size hutch calling out to be made over like this-- only I'll put either a pale driftwood or whitewash over the green. And fairy lights fronting the interior. But absolutely the bright greenway base chalk paint base. Thanks for your artfulness, Memaw!

• Steve C

Looks fantastic, the sunflowers are beautiful. Clever you!