Perky
Perky
Asked on Apr 12, 2019

How can I get rid of tiny gnats in the sink?

Janis1Andrea BoothDesertRose
+2

I see tiny black gnats around my bathroom sink drains. How do I get rid of them and keep them from coming back? I keep my sinks very clean. Thank you.🥺Carol

Pour some vinegar down the overflow hole first. A lot of people miss it. Then pour some down the drain. Clean the drain with a small long bottle brush or old toothbrush taped to a stick. Use Dawn dish liquid to clean. Then pour real hot water down the overflow hole and down the drain. Don't use boiling water. You can crack the sink if it's porcelain.

• Jewellmartin

Use a bottle brush and a powdered cleanser to clean all the sink drains. Rinse first with a minute of water. Rinse again with a cup of bleach in each sink. Repeat every 3-5 days for a couple of weeks. Also remove any plants from the bathrooms and kitchen for 3-4 weeks, and don’t leave any fruit out in case the flies or gnats came from bananas, kiwi or similar food.

• DesertRose

You need to spray your drain, that is where they live. We use Simple Green, it is a disinfectant and deodorizer. I spray mine daily if I see any, then once a week for maintenance in summer. They come in on the fruit/veggies you buy at the market. Simple Green is non-toxic and can be found at most home improvement stores in the cleaning aisles as well as Walmart in the boat/auto/camping area. It comes in both concentrate and ready spray bottles.

• Andrea Booth

They are fungus gnats and some bleach down the drain should help as bleach kills mold.

• Janis1

These are called drain flies. I've tried the baking soda/vinegar/ hot water method but it only works for awhile. I think I'll give DesertRose's Simply Green a try next time.