Reupholster an Office Chair

$10

After almost 14 years of use, it's time to reupholster my old beloved chair.

before

I remember that day 16-year-old me got this chair.

I just finished decorating my room when my parents brought in this huge package. I was so impatient (as I still am today) that I had to assemble it right away.

It was one of the most difficulty tasks I have got myself into at the time, it took probably twice the time it would have taken if I’d let me parents help. But I needed to feel the sense of achievement.

The chair have never left my side, like a trusted pet. I took it with me when I moved to college, when I moved in with my boyfriend, and when we moved into this apartment as husband and wife.

I tried to take good care of it, but as time passes, some stains inevitable. They became a part of the chair.

I purchased some cool fabrics on Amazon.

I wanted to keep the old fabric and cover it with new - so I only needed a light fabric, I chose a 100% cotton fabric.

The idea of having a cactus chair made me laugh (sitting on a pile of cactus as if it was pins and needles)

The day I got my fabrics I stopped whatever I was doing and disassembled my chair.

Unscrewing all the screws and leaving them on a post-it detailing which screw belongs to which part so I won't be confused when it’s time to reassemble.

After removing the back,

I spread the fabric on the kitchen table right side facing down, and placed the top cushion on it. I measured the fabric and added 2 inches all around.

Using a staple gun, I attached the the cactus fabric to the top cover.

Around that time I noticed our staple gun was a bit broken, and I needed another hand to help stretching the fabric. So, It became a couple's work.

While my husband was stapling, I held the fabric.

We began by stapling one side, then the opposite to make it tight.

After we finished stapling all the sides, we made the corners.

When we were pleased with the way it looked (I won't lie, there was a time I took out all the stapling out and re-staple it), we cut the leftover fabric.

We Repeated the same with the bottom cushion.

Then, I reassembled everything back,

Using the note I left myself I knew where all the screws went... (thank God!)

Now It's ready for another 14 years of use (or until the mechanism will break, whichever comes first!)

Such a cool fabric, I love it!

• Marcie

how did you finish the back of the chair ?

• Brenda

You are only upholstering the cushion portion of the backrest and the top cushion of the seat . The raw edges from your upholstering are tucked under the back plates of the chair.

• Martha

Can you show a picture of the back of the chair? Unclear how it looks after the upholstering. The front is lovely.

• Ellen.kennedy

Does anyone know how to get rid of lizards out of their window sills?