DIY Rope Rug

$120

To complete my Coastal/Boho look out on the deck, I wanted to make a rug!

I’d been looking for a natural/creamy coloured rug but couldn’t find one I liked!

So what do you do?

Make one yourself!

Previously I had been addicted to a type of rope - called cotton sash cord and loved making trays and baskets so I already had the rope and a hot glue gun with packs of glue sticks.

Materials

Here’s how I made it!

Firstly I bent the cotton sash cord around in a circular pattern, glued in between and held the cord together for a few seconds.

I continued gluing until I had approximately twelve rows.

I then decided to challenge myself by making a row out of loops. I just simply bent the rope into loops and glued.

Then I repeated the plain circular pattern with twelve rows followed by another larger different loopy design.

All the loops are glued and need to be evenly spaced apart.

Another plain twelve rows were glued together before starting on the small circles.

The small circle designs were the most time consuming but also the most striking part of the rug!

As I came to end of making each circle I would place each one on top of each other to make sure they were the same size.

It was also important to glue a few circles together before gluing onto the rug.

To make the circles look tidy I tapered the ends down before gluing and also lined up the ends before gluing so that each circles position was the same.

Just another tip - measure to see how many circles will fit around the rug so you know how to space them and what size you need to make.

In the end the Diameter of the rug measured 115cm and I made sure it was nice and sturdy!!

I did use approximately 8 rolls of cord and the price came in around $120 but I did use a more expensive brand of cord. It is possible to make it for under $80 with cheaper cord.

Another tip is to Scotch Guard the rug to protect it.

Even though it took a couple days to make, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it grow bit bit and so worth it in the end.

You don’t have to be a creative genius to make something like this - you just need a little imagination, patience and determination!

YOU TOO CAN MAKE THIS!!!👍

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!

• Regina

How much rope did it take for this project?

• Lindy

I think we need to know the number of feet per package as all are not the same. Is that possible?

• Sandra Lowery

Could u dye this rug?

• Chris

I would imagine you could but I think it would be best if done prior to making the rug.

• Curious

How do you launder this rug? Will the glue hold up or will it come apart?

• Kathy

I am just guessing but I don’t think the rug would hold up in a washing machine unless you tack it down in a lot of places on the bottom. She’s did say to Scotchguard it when finished, then I think you could spot clean it.