Make Your Own Paaskran

$30

I've long been admiring paaskrans - these beautiful Easter wreaths made from broken eggshells and natural elements, so I did some research. They are popular in Holland and Germany, and are actually quite easy to make. And they are so, so lovely!

make your own paaskran

So for those of you wondering just what the deal is with these earthy, moss-covered wreaths, here are the facts. They are commonly made from grapevine and natural elements. The feathers and broken eggshells (I’m guessing) symbolize Spring, rebirth, and resurrection. They are often displayed on a tabletop. And they are wreaths. Made for Easter.

But in my home, they are Paaskrans.

step 1 – add moss to wreath

I selected an oblong shaped grapevine wreath, as I plan to place this on the center of my dining table (which is also oblong). Using a hot glue gun, add pieces of dried moss to the wreath, giving it a woodsy effect.

make your own paaskran
step 2 – add bird’s nests

Next, remove the plastic eggs from bird’s nests, then add the nests to the wreath.

make your own paaskran
make your own paaskran
step 3 – add vines

Embellish it with few artificial vines or greenery to give it an even more earthy effect.

make your own paaskran
step 4 – add water picks

Add about 3 floral water picks to the wreath. Fresh flowers will be added later.

make your own paaskran
step 5 – add feathers

Using a glue gun, embellish the entire wreath with small, delicate feathers.

make your own paaskran
step 6 – add eggshells

Break several brown and white eggs in half. After thoroughly rinsing the shells, let them dry. To add whole unbroken eggs, first use an egg blower to remove the yolk. Then rinse and let dry.   This video shows instructions on how to do this. 

If you want to add colored eggs (I added several hot pink ones), use this  dye. It comes with clear instructions and gives you the brightest, richest colors.

When dry, glue the eggshells onto the wreath.

make your own paaskran
make your own paaskran
step 7 – add fresh flowers

Lastly, fill the water picks with water and add fresh flowers. I used pink tulips and baby’s breath. 

make your own paaskran

And see how lovely it becomes when a simple vase of flowers is placed in the center.

make your own paaskran
Wendy at myfrenchtwist.com

1 comment