Asked on Apr 12, 2019

What is the best thing to use to clean floor grout?

Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)BetsyGinny
+2

• Kathy Gunter Law

I mop with 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup white cleaning vinegar, 1 Tbsp blue Dawn, 2 gallons HOT water (I boil part of it). If you have stubborn stains, Lysol Toilet bowl cleaner in the black squirt bottle and magic eraser are great.

• Ginny

I used Barkeepers friend and a brush. I had pretty good luck with that. Having said that I will never put in white grout again.

Hi Claudine: Here's what I found, this is not me talking here:) Polished marble tile presents a small problem in that most cleaners will tend to remove a small bit of the surface polish. It’s almost invisible but you can touch and feel that the surface has become a bit “honed”. This is the downside of cleaning grout in that the tile surface will also be affected to a minor degree. I mixed a three part solution of white vinegar, tap water and Clorox bleach. Mixed in even proportions, poured into an old empty Lysol spray bottle, shook it up and went to work.

First I wet the floors and wall tile with warm dish soap and water solution and cleaned one area at a time. Next I used a strong scrub brush and scrubbed in the solution over all the discolored grout, not the marble itself, but a little bleed over will happen. Next step was to let sit for 10 – 15 minutes, and then I washed with clean water over the entire area.

Once it’s dry and the bathroom shower area was not used for a day, the grout looked very clean, not new home clean, but cleaner then it ever was before. I was careful to wash out the grout with cold water and a sponge then rinsed with the shower nozzle. The marble was not really impacted in terms of the polish surface. I then sealed the surfaces with tile sealer, non enhanced type.

Depending on the age of your tile and the cleanliness of your existing grout, this will work on older areas too. This can be repeated once a month or depending on the overall cleanness and your own level of tolerance. Voila! It DOES WORK. Give it a try! Good luck, I hope this works for you.

• Mix two parts peroxide and one part dish soap (many recommend blue Dawn, but most soaps should work fine), and use it to clean the grout.