Asked on Apr 12, 2019

How should I clean an older mirror with haze?

BetsyKelli L. MilliganJohnavallance82
+1

How should I clean an older mirror that seems to have a haze over the glass?

• Gk

It could be that the backing on your old mirror has deterioated and that is why it looks hazy despite cleaning the front of the mirror. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/smudges-off-antique-mirror-102926.html

• Johnavallance82

Hello Plain Jane,

The mirror is showing signs of age and possible damage to the Mercury backing to the glass that used to be used in older mirrors and much prized in the antiques word. To strip the mirror and re-do would be very expensive, so I would suggest you enjoy it as it is or replace the mirror.

• Kelli L. Milligan

It's probably under the glass. Happens to old glass, nothing you can do but enjoy it's age or replace.

Hi Plain Jane: You can try Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend, or for a haze on mirrors or glass that nothing works on, or if you know that the surface has been chemically "etched" by using the wrong cleaner, use jeweler's rouge. Call a local jewelry store to see if they have some in stock (about $4-5 a stick). This is a hard compound that you rub on the surface first then buff with a dry cloth. It can be labor-intensive and time consuming, but it has worked when nothing else has. The sticks come color-tinted, but I don't believe that applies for this application. Good luck