Kelley Zino
Kelley Zino
  • Okeechobee, FL
Asked on Apr 12, 2019

Do you need to water new Gardenia plants often?

BetsyNancy TurnerJewellmartin
+7

Do you need to water new Gardenia plants often? Too; mine aren't growing and seem to be stunted. I read online here that if they get yellow leaves, you can add epsom salts to condition the soil. I didn't see how long it would take to turn the plants health around? Any answers to any of these questions is appreciated.

• Joy30150932

Yellow leaves can also be caused by overwatering. Let the plant dry out before watering again. If you water from the top, let it drain and then empty the saucer. Epsom salts is good for the soil, especially tomato plants. With good light a maybe a bit of Schultz liquid fertilizer added to the water they should perk within a couple of weeks.

• Jewellmartin

Kelley, with any soil change, it may take a whole growing season to see improvements in plants. But with Epsom salts blended into the soil with a rake, along with the proper fertilizer and potting soil, you should be able to see a difference in 4-6 weeks. Patience!

Hi Kelley: Jewell has a lot of good ideas. Another thing I would suggest is to remove any dead or dying pieces of the plant and make sure that the plant . The plant uses up a lot of energy trying to keep these parts alive, much to the determent of the rest of the plant.

• Nancy Turner

Plants will go dormant for a short while to adjust to the new soil. Be patients and use some of the other suggestions to add to the health of the soil. Water when necessary, same with fertilizer. Give them a while to adjust and start growing more roots before they start growing.

• Kelley Zino

I appreciate all of the info! It's great to have a place to find answers to ease my mind! Thank you so much!

Hi again, Kelly: I see that part of my answer went untyped:( What I was going to say was to make sure that the plant isn't squished together and that the branches have enough room to spread out and air can circulate so that mold doesn't get a chance to grow. I guess I can't watch tv and type:) Good luck

You're welcome. By the way, the tv is off :)