Nancy
Nancy
  • New Kensington, PA
Asked on Apr 12, 2019

How do I care for my poppies?

JewellmartinDwp7470bBetsy
+7

I have a big drift of ornamental poppies, from my grandmother that barely came up this year. I might have a dozen poking through, and I don’t want to lose these.

q poppies didn t grow this year

This was last spring, and now I might have twelve if I’m lucky!

q poppies didn t grow this year
  • Gk

Hello Nancy! There are a few reason why your poppies didn't produce well. Pehaps the soil was too wet, perhaps they need to be thinned out, they might need some fertilizer or maybe it's just an off year and next year will be spectacular!

https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Poppies

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/poppy/oriental-poppies-not-blooming.html

• Joy30150932

Some times when plants remain in the same spot over the years, they deplete the soil of nutrients so consider adding a bit of liquid or granule fertilizer. I like Shake and Feed for this.

• Nancy

Thank you, I may try this feed. I use Plantone most of the time.

Hi Nancy: Don't give up on them, it's early days:) I have some from my grandmothers yard, and then transferred to my mom's yard and now to mine. Some have leaves that are 1" tall and some 6" tall. Give them time to pop up. Once the heads dry in the fall, keep them and use the seeds to plant for next year. Patience is the key here:) Good luck

• Nancy

I will try patience, my sisters are doing well still, so may get more from her, but they are hard to transplant, they have a long root. Thank you

• Dwp7470b

Ahhhh. Another vast Water Diet expectation.

Bear in mind, Plants Absorb what we do not eat, to produce items we enjoy.

This list of things we do not eat includes: Bad Eggs and Manure.

Of course your poppies (and any other plant) will love:

Diarrhea Daiquiri

32 ounces of warm water

8 ounces of Manure

1 bad egg (optional)

1 lemon slice (optional)

1 bamboo umbrella (optional)

• Jewellmartin

With all the rain and snow this year, almost all the US and Canada was really drowned. Make sure your yard is well-drained this spring and summer. I hope you have more seeds. You could start a new bunch of seeds and set them out in June, or next year.