Dawn Wenderski
Dawn Wenderski
  • Canton, MI
Asked on Apr 12, 2019

How do I get rid of mold on my house plant?

Robyn GarnerLindaDebbie/Dragonfly Treasure
+4

I have mold killing my house plant.

q get rid of mold on my house plant
  • Dwp7470b

I'd advocate just tossing the plant outdoors in the sun before it spreads. It is probably too humid in your home.

• Pat

Don't believe that is mold...could it be Mealy Bugs? Google plants and see what you find. If it is Mealy Bugs, they are sucking the life out of your plants. Not sure what you can use to kill them (if it is Mealy Bugs) but am sure your plant place can tell you.

Hi Dawn: Try this: Combine one tablespoon baking soda and one-half teaspoon of liquid, non-detergent soap with one gallon of water, and spray the mixture liberally on the plants. Mouthwash. The mouthwash you may use on a daily basis for killing the germs in your mouth can also be effective at killing powdery mildew spores.

Also, sprinkle cinnamon, baking soda, or apple cider vinegar on top of your soil as natural an anti-fungal. This acts as a natural deterrent to mold growth and won't harm your plant. Keep the soil clean. Keep debris like rotting leaves and plant parts off of your soil.

Be careful when treating the plants, mold can be harmful to your health.

Good luck

• P

Looks like mealy bugs to me too - q-tip w/ isopropyl/rubbing alcohol on it - touch a drip onto each bug put the alcohol you will use into a container you can throw away - a bottle cap or something small- don't contaminate the original bottleful. Change q-tips frequently so not SPREADING the critters. Keep this infected plant AWAY from your others - they bugs are highly 'spreadable'! You may ALSO have red-spider mites - leaf surface looks sticky - I'd deal with the mealy bugs first, then spray the underside as well as top of leaves regularly

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Looks like mealy bugs to me too

• Linda

Yes, that's mealy bugs. Keep it away from your other plants and spray it heavily with rubbing alcohol, making sure to spray under the leaves. Look again about a week later as a second spraying may be needed. I have saved many houseplants doing this.

• Robyn Garner

Not sure about mealy bugs - if you can see actual individual insects those are them. But think you' ve got aphids, especially with all the "sticky" looking areas on the plant. You may want to take this guy outdoors until treatment is finished. Inspect all your other plants as it's likely others have problems too. Make a mix of a small bit vegetable oil, drop dish soap and lots of water. Shake in a spray bottle and spray him everywhere - on top and under each leaf. Clean off all the white gunk as possible and spritz again. Do this every few days until you nothing else but you can safely do this to keep everyone dusted, shiny and bug-free.