Budget Vintage Americana Nursery/Boy's Room

When we set out to transform a room that had been painted hot-pink by the previous owners of our home into a nursery, we wanted to created a space that would grow with our son. My husband spent the winter planking the wall with pallet wood. It was a long and tedious project, but it only cost us about $8 and it was well worth the effort! The room is painted in "Nostalgia" by Valspar.
The curtains were super-cheap at Ikea. My dad made the bi-plane that is flying high int he corner out of Coca-Cola cans (you can purchase them here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CANARTCRAFTS2204?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav).
You may notice we don't have a crib in this room. With our second baby, we got a little wiser and bought a white Jenny Lind crib on wheels that can move easily from our bedroom to his room.
bedroom ideas vintage boys room americana pallets budget, bedroom ideas, painted furniture, patriotic decor ideas
Here's a shot of the room before we moved in last summer.
This dresser was a hand-me-down and was used by my mother-in-law when she was a child. I refinished it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Emperor's Silk and a coat of Annie Sloan Clear Wax. I purchased the vintage yard sticks as a lot on Etsy and adhered them to the inside of the cabinet door with Liquid Nails. The burlap hardware came from Hobby Lobby.
I found this chest for $10 at my local thrift store and after a fresh coat of paint and removing the old drawers, I added sea grass baskets to store all of those little baby items from socks to burp cloths.
For wall art, we used a lot of hand-me-down items like these prints that were hanging in my childhood bedroom. The license plate came off my grandfather's motorcycle and the hat belonged to my husband.
I found this shelf for just $3 at a local thrift store and decorated it with flags my son's great-uncle had collected as a kid. On top of the shelf is a photo of my husband as a kid, working on a car with his dad and a letter my grandfather sent his mother from Vietnam when he was just 18-years-old.
I snagged these great pillows at Hobby Lobby for a song!

Amanda @ Our Storied Home

• Amanda @ Our Storied Home

Thanks! We love this space. Even though it's my son's room, we tend to gather in there. I got the license plate map at At Home (formerly Garden Ridge.) I hope you'll all check out my blog, www.ourstoriedhome.com!

• TheHoneycombHome

What a transformation! Beautiful!