How to Decorate a Room On a Budget and My Miracle Child

I had hoped and prayed to be a Mom one day and after some complications I was told by my doctor that this was not going to happen. Well, after many years of waiting, trying and hoping we were given our miracle child. One of my favorite parts of being a Mom is giving Hunter a room that's special and uniquely his. I'm doing my best to reflect Hunter and his interests as I design and decorate his room.
For this section of the room, I build DIY plumbing pipe shelves using wood shelving I purchased at IKEA. This is an easy project that anyone can do! I decorated the shelves with items I've purchased at yard sales, estate sales, flea markets and thrift stores. I haven't used expensive pieces and many of the items were even free, like the desk and the found on the side of the road day bed!
One side of Hunter's room. Like many boys he loves anything to do with cars, planes, sports and even travel. I tried to reflect those interests in what I put in his room.
The day bed was a found on the side of the road piece. I had originally refinished this piece for my office, but once we moved I thought it would be perfect in front of the window in Hunter's room. I reupholstered it in denim fabric and now it's a perfect place to read or hangout and watch the birds at the pond.
The curtains are from IKEA and I sewed trim along the inside edges to give them a custom look. The curtain rod is made of conduit piping and plumbing fixtures. The window was large and a long rod was pricey. I like how industrial it looks and I love the $25 price!
Here are the IKEA curtains with the added cream and red trim.
The framed maps are made from vintage gas station maps I purchased at an estate sale and frames I bought from a thrift store. They cost about $1 to make.
This is the most expensive item in this part of his room. I purchased this hand painted Wrigley Field sign at a local flea market for $25.
Hunter picked out 2 hub caps at an estate sale for $5.

Melody