Colourful DIY Vintage Industrial Kitchen

$10000
1 Month

We built our house last year, and one of my favourite spaces in it is our DIY kitchen made from IKEA cabinets and a lot of hard work. Like most things in our house, we built this kitchen ourselves and furnished it with handmade and repurposed things. I love the look of two-tone cabinets, so we chose IKEA Lidingo cabinets in white for our upper cabinets, and IKEA Ramsjo cabinets in black for our lower cabinets and island.
My husband and I built the cabinet boxes in our shop (so easy!), and then he moved them into the kitchen and installed them with a friend.
The flooring is an inexpensive laminate from Lowe's (Allen + Roth Provence Oak) that we installed throughout the house before the cupboard installation.
Our countertops are butcher block from IKEA, and I stained them with a white was and sealed them with a waterproof sealant. They're holding up great!
I chose to have chrome light fixtures, plumbing and cupboard hardware installed for a vintage industrial touch (these were all bought wholesale through Direct Buy). We used the stainless steel appliances we had in our old house, but installed a new range hood (from IKEA).
Our breakfast nook features a rotating kid's art wall (made from an IKEA curtain rod and ring curtain clips), some DIY drapes that I sewed and my parent's old farm table that I refinished with homemade chalk paint. The table was originally a honey oak colour, and some painting and distressing made such a huge difference!
I also painted some old counter stools we had with chalk paint, and reupholstered their seats with fabric that matched the drapes.
We love our happy DIY kitchen! It's functional and practical, and it was built within our budget.
During our cupboard installation:
After the installation, and before the painting and drapes:
A view of the fridge wall with cupboards around it (we had to mount the cupboards around the fridge a few inches away from the wall to make the fridge look built in):

Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Christina Dennis