French Country Touches, Added From Your Collections

When we decided to renovate our kitchen, I knew I wanted to incorporate all my collections from my years of homemaking. They were objects I loved, had a story or were just things I wanted to add warmth and comfort to the kitchen. Below is one of the two islands decorated this past Christmas.
kitchen ideas vintage french country decor, kitchen design, kitchen island
This island was built with displaying my collections in mind, as well as a serving island for food and drinks when we entertained. It is covered in honed Italian marble.
The bottom shelf of the island holds linen napkins, my milk glass collection, and vintage silver cutlery and serving pieces.
Green majolica is a minor obsession of mine! I added baskets and linens to add texture to the mix of objects displayed here.
When I chose the marble for the counters, I kept the colour of my collections in mind, and fortunately, after a bit of hunting, I found the perfectly coloured marble for me. Soft green veining running through the stone. Honing it was important to me because I wanted a soft, aged look to the marble. It is completely sealed and is standing up to everything in the kitchen.
This little corner of the kitchen, holds my vintage silver tea samovar, serving trays and a weathered, aged tea cart. It is also a perfect spot for two French side chairs, sometimes needed for extra seating.
This little nook, overlooks a back stairwell.
More majolica and creamware collections.
The islands always look different with the seasons. Here, this summer with fresh cut roses from the garden, and a collection of beverage servers and glass cloches.
The smaller conservatory/breakfast room off the kitchen, is warmed by more collectibles from the garden, a vintage statue and candle cloche. I know what you're thinking, moving the objects when we need to eat here at the table!
I honestly don't mind, and just takes a minute to clear! I try not to compromise form over function!
Another collectible, vintage silver jug here used to dispense water for my espresso coffee maker.
This vintage French cook book, circa 1890, is a treasured collectible in my kitchen here protected under a glass cloche. I hope you enjoyed viewing the small French touches in my country kitchen. They add interest, warmth and character to the heart of my home!

Nella Miller Design