Asked on Aug 13, 2014

How can I repair a cement garden swan planter?

Jeffrey FerrelBarbaraSuzanne
+15

Over the years, my cement swan planter has deteriorated around the neck area. I would like to repair it if I can before it gets any worse, but I'm not sure about how to do it or what kind of product to use. Any help will be appreciated!
  • Lavende
    Lavende

You can use a cement patch product. Mix up a small batch with water following the package instructions, wet the goose, and use a small drywall knife to smooth it into the gaps. Then a fresh coat of paint and it should be ready to go!

• Aggie
      Aggie

@Lavende Thank you for your input. I didn't realize they had a cement patch product available, so I will definitely be looking to find some of that. Is there any special kind of paint I need to use for this project to insure that it will stay on over the long term and harsh weather? I've been wanting to work on this project for several years now.

• Kim Smith
    Kim Smith

I think a concrete patch product with some vinyl as an ingredient. Then it would perhaps add some adhesion to the cracks from inside and keep them from getting bigger, and maybe protect them from more water - freeze and thaw cycle. (But I like it with that ancient look.)

• Aggie
      Aggie

@Kim Smith Having a product with some vinyl in it sounds like a good idea. It would probably hold better and be more weather resistant. Thank you for taking the time to offer me some more information. The "ancient look" is nice, but I kind of want this one back like it was originally. If it were a Roman statue or something like that, I would just leave it as is.

• You can patch it with cement. Mix some cement up + "paint" it on with a paintbrush. It will fill all the cracks, then if need be you can sand it a bit once it's dried to smooth it :) Then you can hand-paint any details/features that go missing from the new cement.

• Aggie
      Aggie

@Caitlin | Belong With Wildflowers Using a paintbrush sounds like a great idea, and the cement would get way down into the crevices. Thanks for all your great information.

• Winful
    Winful

if that doesn't work (and it should) and if the cracks are big you could fill it in with mosaic tiles and grout. might look kind of neat?

• Aggie
      Aggie

@Winful That is a very imaginative idea, but unfortunately I'm not a big mosaic fan. Thanks for a very neat idea though!

• Priscilla Crigger
    Priscilla Crigger

go to lowes orhome depot and get a bag of HYDRAULIC cement .it is in a plastic tub . it is water proof and is used to patch swimming pools the best for patching cement .. mix only a tiny portionand thin so you can use a brush . it dries very fast ..

• Miss Kitty
      Miss Kitty

@Priscilla Crigger Thank you for your suggestion, but I have already bought a product called Dap Pre-Mixed Concrete Patch. I haven't had time to use it yet, so I'm hoping it will do the job. It was recommended by one of the associates at Lowes. I appreciate you taking the time to help. ♥

• Sue
    Sue

I just "fell" into this, but it was perfectly interesting and I'm going to get some of Hydraulic cement tomorrow. I have a turtle of my 91 year old mothers that has the same problems, so Miss Kitty, post how the Dap works & I'll do the same w/ the other. Love sharing!!! thanks all!!

• Miss Kitty
    Miss Kitty

Hi Sue! Unfortunately I did not have time to get that project finished last summer, but I did buy the product. I will have to do it when spring gets here. I will let you know the results then. I hope you can get your project done as well.

• Bo Primo
    Bo Primo

I have a goose that lost his whole beak, an suggestions on building a new one?

• Sue Kiene
      Sue Kiene

I would make a new one out of clay or plaster or concrete. If it is a little larger than you want you can always work on sanding it down to fit. Can be attached with gorilla glue or other glues. Paint

• M ramirez
    M ramirez

You can also go to Hobby Lobby and buy some plaster or resin that will work

• Suzanne
    Suzanne

Go to Sherwin Williams and get small cans of cement stain. They are VERY helpful in working with cement ! Also cement stain lasts a lot longer with a sealant applied after/

• Barbara
    Barbara

I was thinking Bondo that is used to repair dents on cars, you can use it on cement.

• Jeffrey Ferrel
    Jeffrey Ferrel

LOL - I was hesitant in saying the bondo idea, because it sounds like such a lame idea, but it works quite well. I would stay clear of Bondo brand, and go to an automotive paint store and get a product called Rage, Rage Ultra, Rage gold... it is much easier to work with and is just a better product.