Wine Cork Letters

Sometimes you find the strangest things at yard sales.
For instance, when I set out one morning about a month ago I didn't imagine I would come across a box at a sale with over 1000 wine corks in it. The lady running the sale said it was 23 years worth of wine drinking. For all I know it could have been only 3 months worth of drinking, but that's beside the point. For only $10 it was mine!
The question was what to do with them? First I made a Wine Cork Bulletin Board that you can see here http://www.restorationredoux.com/?p=9248. With about 920 corks left this is what I decided to do next.
diy wine cork letter art eat, crafts, home decor, repurposing upcycling
I picked-up these wooden letters at Michael's using the 40% off coupons.
You start off by laying out your corks on it to make sure that they all fit. You have to do some finagling to get them all to fit together and not have empty spaces. I then used a hot glue gun and started gluing the corks on by the small ends not long ways. I tried to mix in some different colors along the way. But then you get to glueing... It takes a while, but it's pretty mind-numbing work, so it's an easy project to knock out while you're watching TV.
I love how it ended up looking, and I really like the variety of corks from all the different vineyards. I think these guys will be living above my kitchen cabinets! These would make a great gift also!

Shanna Gilbert

• Joh24857473

I have heard about CORKCLUB. They are nicely using this corks by recycling it and donating money to help preserve the Earth.
  • Linda Abate

Such a great idea to add a little character to the dining room or the kitchen.

Definitely a great waste of repurposing something that would have landed in the trash. Love it.