Redo Patio Sling Chairs for Under $25

$25

I rescued this 3 piece patio set from someone that was throwing it away. It's a Martha Stewart Everyday and has nice lines so I thought I could do something with it.
Here's an easy patio set redo that you can finish in less than a day and for less than $25!
This is the set before I redid it. The original color was a sage green but had faded. The seat fabric was a woven nylon fabric that had become brittle from the sun and elements. Rips were beginning to appear in the fabric.
There are several online tutorials that show you how to redo the fabric without removing everything from the frame. However, I wanted to change the frame color as well so I removed all of the tracks from the frame for better paint coverage. It was simply 2 screws in each piece.
Using the old fabric as a pattern (basically 4 rectangles) I cut out the new pieces using this outdoor fabric. I sewed double-fold hems around all 4 sides of each rectangle, creating a channel on the 2 sides. The channels allow you to insert the nylon rod from the old fabric and gives strength to the fabric once installed on the frame. The fabric panel simply slides back into the tracks and everything is reattached to the frame. It took 3 cans of spray paint and about 1.5 yards of fabric. I was able to purchase everything for under $25. I had several projects going at once but you could complete this easily within a day.

Angie Forte

• Tesa Dexter

do you have any ideas for directors chairs with no canvas. I have 4 of them. last year i ordered some & they were too small, so i guess i have to trye & make some. can you help?? PLEASE!! Thank you ahead of time.

• Faye

I have two director chairs and I ordered new covers on Amazon.

They are perfect

• Sue

Angie have you ever done anything that had more the rivet type thing instead of a screw? Everything you describe looks so doable but I cannot figure out how to get these things off! They are not screws but if I ever get them off I may replace them with some!!!

• Angie Forte

Hi Sue! I have not personally done this. However, I know you can drill out rivets and replace them with a nut/bolt or screw. Simply drill out the rivet using a drill bit slightly larger in size. I would test it on one rivet before attempting the whole chair. Also, make sure you can find the correct size nut/bolt or screw first! Hope that helps!

• Ericka

Hi Angie forte. I have some chairs similar to yours and the original fabric is very old even some chair the fabric is broken then I ordered this type of fabric (Sunbrella Sling Augustine Pewter 54 "Fabric). Do you think it works with this fabric?

• Ericka

I didn't think about that, and I already ordered it, I will try it and see what happens... thank you very much for answering.

• Rick-Phyl Boudreau

I will have to perform this type of "surgery" on our set of 8 chairs. Basically delaying the inevitable for as long as I can. It's nice to know that it's a project that doesn't seem that daunting any more. Picking out the fabric might be the hardest for my wife.
  • Carol Cole

I love it. Great job. The colors are wonderful.