Redo Patio Sling Chairs for Under $25

$25

I rescued this 3 piece patio set from someone that was throwing it away. It's a Martha Stewart Everyday and has nice lines so I thought I could do something with it.
Here's an easy patio set redo that you can finish in less than a day and for less than $25!
This is the set before I redid it. The original color was a sage green but had faded. The seat fabric was a woven nylon fabric that had become brittle from the sun and elements. Rips were beginning to appear in the fabric.
There are several online tutorials that show you how to redo the fabric without removing everything from the frame. However, I wanted to change the frame color as well so I removed all of the tracks from the frame for better paint coverage. It was simply 2 screws in each piece.
Using the old fabric as a pattern (basically 4 rectangles) I cut out the new pieces using this outdoor fabric. I sewed double-fold hems around all 4 sides of each rectangle, creating a channel on the 2 sides. The channels allow you to insert the nylon rod from the old fabric and gives strength to the fabric once installed on the frame. The fabric panel simply slides back into the tracks and everything is reattached to the frame. It took 3 cans of spray paint and about 1.5 yards of fabric. I was able to purchase everything for under $25. I had several projects going at once but you could complete this easily within a day.
Angie Forte

• Ericka

Hi Angie forte. I have some chairs similar to yours and the original fabric is very old even some chair the fabric is broken then I ordered this type of fabric (Sunbrella Sling Augustine Pewter 54 "Fabric). Do you think it works with this fabric?

• Jeannie.mcquaid

I have sewn two awnings using this fabric. I used my 40 year old Morse home sewing machine and it soldiered through the task. But do use a ball tipped needle in the machine so that it slips off the vinyl threads of the fabric instead of stabbing and cutting them. Also, with this fabric you won't need to double fold the material at the hems. A single fold hem is strong enough and the fabric does not unravel.

• Sindy Miller Re

Where did you get the fabric?

• Angie Forte

It’s Sunbrella fabric. You can find it at Hobby Lobby and even on Amazon. Hope that helps!

• Lora Bilotta

Is there any other way to reinforce lounge chairs that have dry rotted without sewing?

mine have canvas vase that are topped with cushions.

• BriEric

Hi. Maybe you can use industrial strength fabric glue to "sew" the seams you need. Perhaps you can hand sew if your issue is with having a sewing machine. The key would be using the correct heavy duty needle and nylon thread and/or a strong glue and following all gluing directions.

Just a thought...hope this helps.