Angie Forte
Angie Forte
  • Lascassas, TN

Redo Patio Sling Chairs for Under $25

$25

I rescued this 3 piece patio set from someone that was throwing it away. It's a Martha Stewart Everyday and has nice lines so I thought I could do something with it.
outdoor furniture redo chair tables budget, outdoor furniture, painted furniture
Here's an easy patio set redo that you can finish in less than a day and for less than $25!
This is the set before I redid it. The original color was a sage green but had faded. The seat fabric was a woven nylon fabric that had become brittle from the sun and elements. Rips were beginning to appear in the fabric.
There are several online tutorials that show you how to redo the fabric without removing everything from the frame. However, I wanted to change the frame color as well so I removed all of the tracks from the frame for better paint coverage. It was simply 2 screws in each piece.
Using the old fabric as a pattern (basically 4 rectangles) I cut out the new pieces using this outdoor fabric. I sewed double-fold hems around all 4 sides of each rectangle, creating a channel on the 2 sides. The channels allow you to insert the nylon rod from the old fabric and gives strength to the fabric once installed on the frame. The fabric panel simply slides back into the tracks and everything is reattached to the frame. It took 3 cans of spray paint and about 1.5 yards of fabric. I was able to purchase everything for under $25. I had several projects going at once but you could complete this easily within a day.
Angie Forte

• Betty or Panda

Where are the screws loccated
  • Edi12891280

Is the table top glass/acrylic and if so how did you keep the
    spray paint off of it.

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Omg! I have the exact same Martha Stewart design except I have the patio dining set with 4 regular chairs like yours and then 2 captains chairs with the swivel. It looks exactly like your before pics. We purchased it 10 years ago slightly used at a steal for 300.00 and originally it used to be a darker sage green lol..no rust on the metal but the set has held up even being left out during the brutal New England winters and then summers by the pool..it’s structure is perfect it just needs the same love and attention you have done to yours. I was thinking we needed to upgrade until I read your post!! My question is do you think if you had to redo 6 chairs plus the glass table That it would be worth the time, energy and financial investment over replacing it? Since you actually have taken apart the chairs..I figured you’d know if you’d take on a bigger project like this? Thanks for sharing this and I appreciate any input you have

• Angie Forte

I think it would be worth it. Once you get in the groove, it isn't that hard of a job. Even a newbie at sewing can handle the simple straight lines required for the new fabric. Good luck!!

• Linda

Beautiful! I have a hand-me-down bistro set begging for this - thanks for the inspiration!

• Rick-Phyl Boudreau

I will have to perform this type of "surgery" on our set of 8 chairs. Basically delaying the inevitable for as long as I can. It's nice to know that it's a project that doesn't seem that daunting any more. Picking out the fabric might be the hardest for my wife.