Homes.com
Homes.com
  • Norfolk, VA

Knock Off Console From Scratch

Jamie from That's My Letter shows off her amazing knock off console project with East Cost Creative's Creating With the Stars design contest and ForRent.com! Just wait until you see what Jamie's awesome talent can build!
For the full in depth tutorial, including size details of plywood and other necessary materials for building this TV console, visit the ForRent.com blog below.
woodworking console from scratch knockoff, dining room ideas, diy, how to, living room ideas, woodworking projects
Use a Kreg rip cut to rip down the plywood for the console carcass.
This is what the body will look like before the shelving.
Create shelves. Work face down and use scrap 1×2 spacers to get perfect placement of the shelf on the front side, no matter if the back is a tiny bit too short.
"You could build the face frame separately and then attach, but I choose to build it directly on the carcass since I wasn’t following any plans and I needed to be exact in my measurements." - Jamie
Start with the side 1x2s, then bottom and top, then dividers, then shelf trim.
For the base molding build the sides first then front.
For the top, connect boards using pocket holes on underside. Then glue and clamp top down and attach with countersink screws from inside the console. Finally, secure to 1/4″ backing using 3/4″ screws from back.
Sand down the console and then prime and paint the face of the console with white high gloss enamel. Stain remaining sections Minwax golden oak.
The hardware was spray painted black and then attached to the console for the sliding doors.
Place the door on the track. The track holds up the door and allows for the door to slide.
Here is the final result! A beautiful piece, perfect for a TV console in the living room and it makes a great addition in a dining room as well.

To see more: http://www.forrent.com/blog/diy/east-coast-creative-forrent-com-creating-stars-design-contest/

• E4lizerd

LOVE!

• Jeanne888

I have been a woodworker for 40 years, and I admire your console. But I am most impressed by your "thinking outside the box" and coming up with a very creative solution for sliding doors on a cabinet. I have been trying to figure out something to add to an entertainment center I have and coming up dry. You have just made my day! Thank you!