Wren Smart
Wren Smart
  • Mapleton, OR

Paper Bag Floor

When we bought our home, there were way more home improvement projects than we had money in the budget for. So, we lived with things until, little by little we could fix them. I hated our dining room. Gross carpet. Searching the internet one day I came across a post about paper bag floors. Thinking it couldn't be any worse than what we had, we went for it. It turned out amazing. Over 2 years later it still looks great.
The finished product. Rich and beautiful.
Looking at the photo, you would never know it was just paper, glue and stain. It has a rich leather look and is super durable.
Paper, glue and a coat of poly.
Paper, glue and a coat of poly.
We used two rolls of plain brown wrapping paper, and elmer's glue. Our biggest expense was the poly since we wanted to make sure that it stayed durable.
Torn wads of paper soaked in glue/water mix.
After prepping our floor, we tore brown paper into chunks, wadded it up to break the paper fibers and the soaked it in our glue mixture. A little messy, but so worth it in the end.
Smoothing on the wet paper.
Smoothing on the wet paper.
Then came the creative part. We squeezed out the excess glue and smoothed the paper onto the prepared floor like a big patchwork quilt. The wrinkles in the paper and the slight finish difference between the sides of paper added to the interest.
Applying a rich stain.
Applying a rich stain.
We let the floor dry for a few days and then used old rags to add a rich stain and bring out more of the detail. Several coats of poly to seal it and we have an inexpensive floor solution that looks like a million bucks and holds up to our family!

Wren Smart

• Sandy

Such an Amazing floor ! Great Job 🙂 I have a large roll of Meat Wrapping paper from a Butcher because it is shiny or waxy on one side would I still be able to use it for a similar idea ? Also would I need to put the shiny or dull side up ? Thank you in advance for your Inspiration and Guidance 🙂

• Sandy

Thank you very much for your reply You are right I never thought about that . Makes perfect sense . Have a nice day 🙂

• Jean brooks

can you use gift wrapping paper instead of brown paper
  • Carlene Williams Johnson

Could this be done on walls?