Virginia
Virginia
  • Raleigh, NC
Asked on Jun 29, 2012

kitchen backsplash

Designs by BSBVirginiaJoan C
+5

I want to put a beadboard backsplash in my kitchen can anyone tell me how well this works in a kitchen. Should I use wood, or pvc or not at all?
  • At The Picket Fence

Hi Virginia! My sister recently did this in her kitchen and used actual wood bead board. It looks so beautiful! BUT, if you are uncertain about whether or not you will like it for the long haul, you could also use bead board wallpaper. It is affordable and so much easier to install. If you want to see my sister's kitchen you can visit our blog here: http://www.atthepicketfence.com/2011/12/blogger-block-partychristmas-in-kitchen.html Hope that helps! ~Vanessa

• KMS Woodworks

What ever you use the bottom corner should be caulked...this is the most vulnerable area of a backsplash. with normal use a backsplash only sees occasional "splashes" and not a solid stream of water like in a shower.

• Designs by BSB

The only time I have done this was for areas where water was not present. Id suggest PVC. A stained finish is beautiful.. but it certainly susceptible to damage over time.

• Joan C

i dearly wanted white beadboard backsplash. we found that heavy, embossed wall paper at Lowe's. we left it white for a long time but recently painted it grey. it looks like beadboard and no one will know unless they touch it. much easier to put up, and much more cost effective, too.

• Jhmarie

@Joan C A agree - I've used the wallpaper too and really like it. I have real beadboard in the laundry / mud room and used the wallpaper across the hall in a powder room. Even with the real beadboard so close, the wallpaper still looks like the real thing. It would be a great way to see if you like the look. It is a washable as a painted wall. The "tin tile" look sheets at the home center are not made of real tin, so should not rust. They also make a "tin tile" paintable textured wallpaper.

• Virginia

Thanks everyone, Not sure if I am still going to do this I was also thinking of using Tin Ceiling tiles has anyone done that?

• Designs by BSB

Virginia, I have seen that done also, but again not near water. One word - rust