Clothespin Napkin Holder

I use clothespins from the dollar store to hold some of my craft projects together while drying. When I was showing my craft class how to make a newspaper bowl and lid, one of the ladies mentioned she hadn't seen a wooden clothespin in over forty years. The lively discussion that followed got me to thinking about clothespin crafts. I remember making a clothespin napkin holder years ago and decided to try my hand at making another one.
Here's what I came up with:
Separate the wire hinges from the wooden pegs by twisting sideways.
Glue together the flat sides of two pegs using tacky or wood glue.
Continue gluing the flat sides together until you have 30-32 sets of two pegs.
Glue the sets together into two semi-circles of 2-peg sets.
Use a ruler to make sure the base of the semicircle is flat.
To make the napkin holder base, glue five pegs together, flat side down, side by side. Glue nine pegs together and attach to the first set of five, as pictured. Glue nine more to the opposite side.
Once dry, glue the semi-circles onto the flat panel base.
The wood definitely needs to be sanded for a smooth finish. The final piece can be left natural, painted or stained. Just remember, with usage, how the old clothespins turned gray so a sealer is needed.
Do you remember any clothespin crafts you especially like?

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Jeano

Love this, could also be used as turkey tails or peacock fan tails for those who can paint something like those beautiful feathers. Question: Now what to do with all those metal spring-clips that we removed ?.......

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

A bracelet and necklace:

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Sorry, I don't know why the pictures aren't showing.

• Jewellmartin

I can see using them as clamps for small crafts or small details on projects. Small pliers would help in setting them in place.
      Btw, I used clothespins in several ways in my classroom. When we were studying characterization, one thing I had the kids to do was to make a clothespin into one of the characters in Romeo and Juliet. Each character doll has to show or demonstrate 10 things from the play relating to that character. Romeo or Juliet could get a high score of 75 if all ten details were accurate. Other characters could earn 85 or 95 points, with most minor characters earning 100 points if all ten details were correct. 16-yr-old boys got a kick out of drawing and pasting things on clothes pins and searching the passages for clues about social class, jobs, weapons, clothing, hair color, etc. I was surprised at how many kids went for the 2nd and 3rd tier characters. The clothes pins turned the trick. Best wishes 😇
    • Joanie

I taught Vacation Bible a while ago. Mouse trap magnets......Buy a square yellow sponge. Cut little pieces of a wooden yard stick. Glue on metal, glue on sponge , add tiny plastic mice, if desired, and add magnet to back. They are adorable and the kids loved makin' them.
    • Basswood

Can you show pics? 😕 Sorry.

• Mushki Brichta

Can I use the photos in a children's newspaper with credit?