Brenda S
Brenda S
  • Long Beach, CA
Asked on Jun 30, 2012

Can you tell me the name of this plant?...

Connie SElaine SimmonsDouglas Hunt
+10

These are the roots of a vine that is growing on my pergola. They are gorgeous and sometimes I braid them...trim them... The more I cut the ends, the redder it becomes. We call them curtain plant but I don't think that's the real name.
can you tell me the name of this plant, gardening
  • Dee W

That is so cooll-never seen anything like that before! btw-sorry, don't know the answer to your question.

I found a photo of what it looks like you have, but, sadly, they do not give a botanical name, either: http://www.flickr.com/photos/araleya/270193176/ Did you plant it or was it growing there when you bought the house?

• Brenda S

Thanks for the comments Dee and Douglas. It was planted by my sister from cuttings and very easy to grow. The roots are reddish to pinkish at the ends. The only maintenance I do is trimming them or braiding them for fun like you see on the pics.

• Bernice H

Never seen anything like it. Cool!

• Donna McCrummen

awesome

• Kim S

I have never seen anything like that, it is so dang cool!

• Kathy B

spagetti tree?

• MARY T

How pretty. Does this only grow in certain regions?

Mary, I'm not sure we've determined exactly what it is, but the photos I found were from Bali, and based on its appearance, I'd say it was definitely not cold-hardy.

• MARY T

Doug: Thank you! ;-)

You're welcome, Mary. Maybe someone will solve the mystery and we'll know for sure.

• Elaine Simmons

I asked a master gardener on another site I belong to. If she answers, I will tell you what she says. I have never seen anything like it either!

• Connie S

Looks like a tropical Angel Hair Vine, Ca Toc Tien, (not sure on the last spelling). Vietnamese I think. Also there is the Possum Grape vines from Florida that has a similar hanging root. I believe they are the Cissus plant family