Julie B
Julie B
Asked on Jun 30, 2012

Should I paint my circa 1922 cement front porch? If so what would be the best color and brand?

DeniseJulie BKMS Woodworks
+2

cement has been chipped and replaced in spots and the two cements don't match.
porch steps
porch steps
  • Home Repair Tutor

HI Julie, If you feel painting it will make you enjoy the space then go for it! Make sure to prime it first then paint it with a good quality paint meant for concrete. The primer will make the paint stick and last a bit longer. Keep in mind that when you paint you will need to repaint eventually :)

• Jan C

We painted our porch a dark grey with oil based "cement porch paint" and it still looks good after 2 years. We put two coats on.

• KMS Woodworks

I got to use some SW masonry primer the other day...it was awesome...it will be a bit before I get the painting part.

• Julie B

Thanks for the advice. It certainly needs a facelift of some sort and my budget is really tight. I will start looking for a good primer next week. Thanks

• Denise

See if you can sand the higher area that doesnt match. If not, how about a skim coat of cement over the entire porch, so that it all matches evenly? You can go a different ways with the paint color. You can stain it (looks great!!). If you are trying to keep the historical look, grey, black or white, probably. If you want a pop of color, make sure it goes well with your other colors. Good luck. Post pics when you decide and finish it.