Amanda Freed Homes
Amanda Freed Homes
  • Waynesboro, VA

A Chippy Little Chair

$60

To view the full blog post and more pictures you can check it out HERE

I wanted to share this sweet little French chair that I just completed!

a chippy little chair
I posted this little antique French chair on my social media a few weeks ago asking the question, "To paint or NOT to paint?"Oh boy...Of course she was adorable as-is but I don't have a set, it was just her all by herself and it felt like just a chair but I made the argument that if I was to add chippy milk paint, that maybe she would have a little more personality.There were strong opinions on both sides but what I found the most interesting was that the majority of Facebook comments voted "NO PAINT" while Instagram was very "PRO-PAINT".Hmmmm.
a chippy little chair
I did decided to go with painting the frame in Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Farmhouse White, one of my personal favorites from her milk paint line.

a chippy little chair
It doesn't take much to get that chippy paint look from this point.With a light grit sandpaper I just lightly rubbed it all over the frame to help release any loose, dry paint. 

a chippy little chair

I then whipped it down with a dry cloth to clear any extra paint dust and topped it off with a coat of Minwax's Polycrylic, Water Based Protective Coat in Clear Matte.

a chippy little chair

Because I'm not reupholstering the chair, I did use this small brush for the paint and the protective coat.

a chippy little chair
a chippy little chair
a chippy little chair
She turned out exactly as I had pictured in my head and I'm happy I went with the milk paint option. 

a chippy little chair
a chippy little chair

She stands proudly on her own now!

Amanda Freed Homes

• Carolinagirl

You did a really good job in changing the look...nicely done. Now, how about some new fabric? Maybe?

• Dianab

why ? it looks to be in very good condition and the beige fabric makes it look very elegant.

• Pat

Love the way your chair turned out, I have the same chair like you only one I wanted to reupholster it but can't figure out how to get the fabric off without destroying the frame. Can you tell me how to do that?

Thanks so much

PatR

• Pat

I thought I might have to do it that way it seems easy enough. Thanks I love your chair