A Chippy Little Chair

$60

To view the full blog post and more pictures you can check it out HERE

I wanted to share this sweet little French chair that I just completed!

I posted this little antique French chair on my social media a few weeks ago asking the question, "To paint or NOT to paint?"Oh boy...Of course she was adorable as-is but I don't have a set, it was just her all by herself and it felt like just a chair but I made the argument that if I was to add chippy milk paint, that maybe she would have a little more personality.There were strong opinions on both sides but what I found the most interesting was that the majority of Facebook comments voted "NO PAINT" while Instagram was very "PRO-PAINT".Hmmmm.

I did decided to go with painting the frame in Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Farmhouse White, one of my personal favorites from her milk paint line.

It doesn't take much to get that chippy paint look from this point.With a light grit sandpaper I just lightly rubbed it all over the frame to help release any loose, dry paint. 

I then whipped it down with a dry cloth to clear any extra paint dust and topped it off with a coat of Minwax's Polycrylic, Water Based Protective Coat in Clear Matte.

Because I'm not reupholstering the chair, I did use this small brush for the paint and the protective coat.

She turned out exactly as I had pictured in my head and I'm happy I went with the milk paint option. 

She stands proudly on her own now!

Amanda's Mercantile

• Carolinagirl

You did a really good job in changing the look...nicely done. Now, how about some new fabric? Maybe?

• Pat

Love the way your chair turned out, I have the same chair like you only one I wanted to reupholster it but can't figure out how to get the fabric off without destroying the frame. Can you tell me how to do that?

Thanks so much

PatR

• Kimmyk

Yesterday I rescued a chair very similar to this from a neighbor's trash. I love the detail of it! It appears to be in pretty good shape except the ends of both arms are badly damaged, almost as it a dog used them as chew toys. I'm not sure how to fix it really, but figured it was worth a shot since I like it so much and it's free. Any suggestions?