DIY Painted Rug Inspired by West Elm

$20

I don’t know about you, but I LOVE area rugs! They instantly change the way a space looks, and are an easy {and temporary} way to add color or pattern to a room.
However, if you are on a tight budget {like us} then you may quickly realize that the area rug you want is out of your price range, boooooo. But then that’s the beauty of DIY, am I right? You can find a style you like and then re-create it in a way that reflects your personality, without spending a ton of money.
One day while browsing the West Elm website I came across the Phoenix Wool Dhurrie rug and instantly fell in love. The geometric/navajo pattern was fun, simple, classic and modern all rolled into one. It seemed perfect for our dining room!
Of course the price tag was a bit steep for us so I decided to create my own version using it as my inspiration. The total cost of my rug? Just $20!
You can view the full post and photos on my blog.
DIY Painted Rug: Before photo: I purchased a plain 5x7 remnant area rug for $20 at Home Depot {You can also find them at Lowes}. These rugs can be random in color and sizes available, but can generally be found near the decorative area rugs - maybe 1 or 2 aisles over. They are already bound but are labeled as remnant rugs :)
I created the shape templates I wanted to use and printed them out on cardstock paper. Each shape took up a few sheets of paper each since I had enlarged them.
I taped the sheets of paper together so that I could cut them out as one large shape.
Here is my paper template cut out.
Afterwards I traced the paper template onto cardboard and then cut that out, this way I would have a more sturdy template to use and trace around.
I measured out where I wanted the pattern to go and began tracing around the templates with a sharpie.
I then painted in the shapes with some custom mixed navy paint using foam brushes. I had mixed fabric medium into the paint as well. I put an old tablecloth underneath the rug to make sure none of the paint seeped through.
Here is the rug with all of the shapes painted in. I had actually gone over the shapes a second time once it had dried.
Once the paint was dry I then went back over the edges of the shapes with some custom mixed turquoise paint.
Afterwards you will want to spray your rug with fabric protector. Here is a close up of my finished rug.
Here is my painted rug all finished!

Katie Nathey

• Debbie

what kind of paint did you use.would you use a seal on it at all.

• Momo s

Look at "all materials"...decoart crafters acrylic and golden fluid acrylic

• Susan Severino

Love it! Want to do mine. Where did you get fabric medium and can you purchase large amounts of it?

• Jjqq

Did rug come from Home Depot or Rugshop? Thanks

• Noreen Schaan

Bravo on this superb job! I love the awesome colors and the design. This is definitely a great idea for a plain old rug. I love it ! Thanks for sharing this awesome idea! Keep on DIY'ing..oh yeah 😉😊💖👌👍👍

• Susan

You went above and beyond on this one honey!!!