Amy S
Amy S
  • Fairfax Station, VA

Liatris Spicata after Storm With High Winds

Douglas Hunt3po3

Just moved into a beautifully renovated 1930s home with an amazing garden in front and landscaping all around. However, I am extremely new to gardening. Shortly after moving in we had a storm in the area that surprised everyone with nearly 80 mile per hour winds. While what appears to me to be 3 to 4 foot Latris Spicata is still in good shape after the storm, some stems have been blown over. I am not sure if I should cut those stems back as they are part of the other upright and still thriving plants or stake them. What are my options?
  • 3po3

It seems they should survive either way. If you liked the look of these stems, it wouldn't hurt top stake them and see if they still thrive. If they don't. you can cut them away like you would have anyway.

If they have just blown over, staking will probably do the trick, as taller varieties of liatris often have to be staked anyway. If the stems seem to have "snapped," however, you might as well cut them back.