A Privacy Wall Doesn't Have To Be Boring Anymore

It started out simply being a lattice privacy wall. OK, I was a ninny. I "thought" it would provide privacy, but as you can see, it doesn't. Besides that, it just seemed too plain for my tastes.
Standing back, I knew it not only needed more of a solid surface, it needed some "bling".
I purchased 12" x 4' boards from Home depot then sealed both sides with Thompsons Opaque water seal and stain. Then it hit me: Stenciled branches in metallic colors! I used the branch only of our Raised Plaster Aspen Tree Stencil set (which provided a nice, large branch stencil to work with). I began with silver branches first. Actually crossing the design over two boards helped unify the boards.
I then stenciled the same branch stencil in gold metallic. Some branches over the top of (yet off-set from) the silver branches.
A good, heavy coat of Eurothane exterior varnish did the trick to completely seal the design.
Adding detail pieces (which are simply plastic or wooden wall decor items that have been sealed with eurothane to protect against the weather) add an extra punch of design to the wall.
Now, not only does my privacy wall actually provide "privacy", it also brings an element of "art" to my back yard and now serves as a trellis for quickly growing green beans.

To see more: http://victorialarsen.com/

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

I love how this looks! My neighbors have the ugliest side yard! My porch where I sit to enjoy the outdoors faces it. There’s a chain link fence around it.

Can anyone think of a creative, cheap way to block their yard from my view?

• Debra A Giffin

If it’s your chain link, you can weave strips of lawn chair webbing, or other decorative waterproof strips through it. If it’s theirs fence, perhaps they would allow u to as it will look nice on both sides

• Donna

How did you attach the boards?

• Louise Oliveri-Palazzolo

How much did this cost? How high is you fence?.

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

The fence is 8 feet tall by 12 feet wide and all of the materials were around $400.00 new. However, bet you could get creative and use some old wood you have just lying around. I just didn't have any.