A Privacy Wall Doesn't Have To Be Boring Anymore

It started out simply being a lattice privacy wall. OK, I was a ninny. I "thought" it would provide privacy, but as you can see, it doesn't. Besides that, it just seemed too plain for my tastes.
fences lattice privacy wall planks wood, fences, painting
Standing back, I knew it not only needed more of a solid surface, it needed some "bling".
I purchased 12" x 4' boards from Home depot then sealed both sides with Thompsons Opaque water seal and stain. Then it hit me: Stenciled branches in metallic colors! I used the branch only of our Raised Plaster Aspen Tree Stencil set (which provided a nice, large branch stencil to work with). I began with silver branches first. Actually crossing the design over two boards helped unify the boards.
I then stenciled the same branch stencil in gold metallic. Some branches over the top of (yet off-set from) the silver branches.
A good, heavy coat of Eurothane exterior varnish did the trick to completely seal the design.
Adding detail pieces (which are simply plastic or wooden wall decor items that have been sealed with eurothane to protect against the weather) add an extra punch of design to the wall.
Now, not only does my privacy wall actually provide "privacy", it also brings an element of "art" to my back yard and now serves as a trellis for quickly growing green beans.

To see more: http://victorialarsen.com/

• Beatrice Tangeman

How tall is it?

• Delores Snellen

How do you keep the wind from tearing this down?

• Carol

They probably have the posts cemented into the ground.

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

The 4x4 posts are cemented in the ground and the wood panel face the direction the wind typically comes from (the west in our case). So no issues.

• Nice art work.

• Delores Snellen

with the high winds I have here it probably would not hold up long

• Susan

Because it’s not solid, but open weave lattice, the wind goes through it.

• Rhonda Smith

Been looking for an idea for our privacy fence. Our house sits on a hill so our 6 ft privacy fence doesn't provide enough privacy and we can see into our backyard neighbors yard and house.

This idea will work well for us if we attach it to the fence and add the boards as decor, but think I'll put small planters on the boards and out flowers. We have wind from time to time, but if we attach it to the fence, it'll be sturdy. Will do just a partial section on 3 different sides and add a quick growing ivy or vine like morning glory.

Thanks for the post. Love it.

• Itsmemic

I've had up a similar design with wooden lattice and didn't even cement the 4x4 posts and so far? It has held up 15 years now !!!!! Heavy winds..blizzards...gusty winds...and still not one problem. I love your design..great idea !

• Uvet

Does the sealant work for snow country?

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

For your area, you might want to ask your local paint or hardware guy what the best one would be for your area, but any exterior sealer such as Varithane should do the trick just fine.

• Judy russell

Does the trellis get attached to existing fence?

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

I love how this looks! My neighbors have the ugliest side yard! My porch where I sit to enjoy the outdoors faces it. There’s a chain link fence around it.

Can anyone think of a creative, cheap way to block their yard from my view?

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

You might post this to the site and see what comes up. Pinterest is also a great source.

• Susan

Can you attach wood panels to the chain link?

• Debra A Giffin

If it’s your chain link, you can weave strips of lawn chair webbing, or other decorative waterproof strips through it. If it’s theirs fence, perhaps they would allow u to as it will look nice on both sides

• Donna

How did you attach the boards?

• Louise Oliveri-Palazzolo

How much did this cost? How high is you fence?.

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

The fence is 8 feet tall by 12 feet wide and all of the materials were around $400.00 new. However, bet you could get creative and use some old wood you have just lying around. I just didn't have any.